Editor of daily El Periódico abducted and drugged and a journalist assaulted within 24 hours

first_img Guatemala. Don’t put the Guatemalan press in quarantine! Receive email alerts News Red alert for green journalism – 10 environmental reporters killed in five years Help by sharing this information May 8, 2020 Find out more News August 21, 2020 Find out more News Follow the news on Guatemala August 25, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Editor of daily El Periódico abducted and drugged and a journalist assaulted within 24 hours News GuatemalaAmericas GuatemalaAmericas January 7, 2021 Find out more to go further Organisation Guatemala: 51 Signatories Call For Authorities To Drop Criminal Charges Against Indigenous Journalist Anastasia Mejía Reporters Without Borders today voiced its support and called for stepped up protection for the staff of the daily El Periódico, after its editor was abducted and injected with barbiturates and an investigative journalist was beaten up and threatened within a 24-hour period.Editor, José Rubén Zamora, was snatched on 20 August before being released barely conscious eight hours later while journalist, Oscar Ismatul, was ambushed the following day and threatened by four men who told him to “shut up”.“Despite the appearance of ordinary crime, since both victims were robbed, these attacks seem above all aimed at silencing staff on El Periódico”, the worldwide press freedom organisation said. “The warning was completely unmistakeable in the case of Oscar Ismatul, who has been writing articles for the paper about official corruption. Staff on El Periódico should get protection and we hope that a prompt investigation will uncover who was responsible”, it added.Ismatul was chased by four men in a white car after he left the office in the afternoon of 21 August. Realising he was being followed, he got into a bus but as he got off again the driver of the white car blocked his path, while the three others lying in wait on the street corner managed to trap him. They beat him up threatening him with guns and ordered him to “shut up” or face serious danger. His assailants also snatched his notes and papers, before forcing him to walk away in the opposition direction. Editor, José Rubén Zamora, who was abducted 24 hours earlier, had his mobile phone and credit cards stolen. It was discovered that that he had been injected with barbiturates as a result of a blood test taken after the incident. RSF_en Reporters Without Borders called for protection for the offices of the daily El Periódico and its most exposed staff, after its editor José Rubén Zamora was abducted and released seriously ill and one of his journalists, Oscar Ismatul, was beaten up 24 hours later.last_img read more

Irish Water claims that Limerick pipe treatment chemical is safe

first_imgWATCH: “Everyone is fighting so hard to get on” – Pat Ryan on competitive camogie squads by Alan [email protected] up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up “WHAT we are proposing to do is safe”.That was the message from Irish Water to local councillors this week when the company explained its plans to run a pilot orthophosphate treatment programme in Limerick.Irish Water officials briefed public representatives this Monday on their plans to reduce lead levels in the city’s drinking water supply. A proposed pilot programme in partnership with the Council, will see an orthophosphate treatment plant added at Limerick City Water Treatment Plant.The programme has the approval of the Health Service Authority (HSE) and Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).According to Irish Water, orthophosphate is a food grade product, normally used in the food and beverage industry, and is safe for human consumption. They claim there is 500 times more phosphorus in a glass of milk than there is in a glass of water that has had the chemical added to it.Irish Water also makes out that the average person takes in between 1,000 and 2,000 milligrammes of phosphorus daily, and the amount which would relate to water treated with orthophosphate would be three milligrammes.Head of asset management at Irish Water, Jerry Grant, maintains that orthophosphate treatment addresses the public health objective in reducing the level of lead dissolved into water passing through lead pipework.“By doing so, it’s possible to reduce lead consumptions levels in a safe way and I would like to reassure people in Limerick that what we are proposing to do is safe. This is not a new method of reducing lead levels. It is, in fact, already being done in many countries for many years,” Mr Grant explained.“One other key element of this pilot programme is to study the environmental effect of its introduction in Ireland. Our expectation, based on the experience in other countries, is that orthophosphate treatment will continue as a mitigation measure for as long as lead pipes remain in properties.“Limerick was chosen as the pilot project because of the high level of properties with lead service pipes and also because the waste water is not discharged into an inland fresh water river or waterway”, he said. Previous articleInformation evening on proposed N21 Adare Western Approach Improvement SchemeNext articleMayor welcomes international students to LIT Alan Jacqueshttp://www.limerickpost.ie WhatsApp Linkedin Advertisement NewsLocal NewsIrish Water claims that Limerick pipe treatment chemical is safeBy Alan Jacques – September 11, 2015 822 Print RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR Limerick’s National Camogie League double header to be streamed live center_img TAGSEnvironmental Protection Agency (EPA)Health Service Authority (HSE)Irish Waterlimerick Email Facebook Limerick Artist ‘Willzee’ releases new Music Video – “A Dream of Peace” Predictions on the future of learning discussed at Limerick Lifelong Learning Festival Twitter Vanishing Ireland podcast documenting interviews with people over 70’s, looking for volunteers to share their stories Limerick Ladies National Football League opener to be streamed livelast_img read more

Trinidad PM says Public Not Following Protocols Regarding COVID ahead of…

first_imgPORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – Prime Minister Dr. Keith Rowley on Saturday said that despite his appeal, members of the public were not taking the threat of the coronavirus (COVID-19) seriously as Trinidad and Tobago recorded four new cases of the virus. The Ministry of Health in its daily bulletin said that the four new cases “are pending epidemiological investigation” and that “all established protocols have been implemented”. “This action provides fertile conditions to fuel an outbreak of the virus. This political activity may be deemed essential but not in this time of a pandemic.This action of denial or daring poses a threat to the entire nation. There are many other ways to reach and influence the electorate,” Rowley said. He said that it is in this context that once again “I am appealing to my colleagues of the political arena, the UNC (opposition United National Congress), officers and supporters to stop organising large groups of people to walk around neighbourhoods. “It is clear that my appeal to the public to take the threat of COVID-19 seriously and to not congregate or assemble in large groups is falling on many deaf ears. These are people who believe that they must put their finger in the wound to believe that there could be pain,” Rowley said in a statement. “I appeal to all persons organising groups to refrain from violating the health protocols of small groups and wearing of masks once outdoors among people,” Rowley added.center_img Trinidad and Tobago will elect a new government on August 10 and the ruling People’s National Party (PNM) is the only one of the 19 political organisations contesting all 41 seats at stake. The UNC is contesting all 39 seats on Trinidad and none in Tobago. On Friday, Rowley told a news conference that persons should exercise caution, social distancing and wear masks when out in public. He also announced that the number of people in gatherings had been reduced from 25 to 10. As a result of the new cases, Trinidad and Tobago is now reporting 173 cases and eight deaths from the virus that was first detected in March. CMClast_img read more

Cubs’ Steve Cishek on family golf-cart rides, neighborhood fishing contests and more

first_imgSporting News writer Ryan Fagan traveled through Florida and Arizona this spring, stopping at camps and chatting with the players. One of his side projects is a quick-hitter Q/A we’re calling “Two Minutes With …”Previous editions: Anthony Rizzo | Jo Adell | Max Muncy | Touki Toussaint | Clint Frazier | Pat Neshek | Jonny Venters | Chris Iannetta | Cal Quantrill | Ben Gamel | Robert Stock Do you use that golf cart for anything else? CISHEK: I’ll use it for fishing. Me and a couple other guys. I’ll go into my golf cart, they go in their golf cart and we have to be back by 6 o’clock and whoever catches the most bass wins, going pond to pond in the golf carts. I use soft plastics. I love a fluke, the watermelon red. Out of the neighborhood, my biggest is probably like three pounds. But ever? It’s nothing impressive. Like six pounds, maybe?What was your first job? CISHEK: My first job was as a Mobil gas station attendant. Filled up the gas tanks, in my hometown of Falmouth. Falmouth Mobil. It’s not there anymore.Who’s one of your favorite Instagram follows?CISHEK: I mean, I’m pretty selective. I like to follow the Celtics. I don’t get to watch them too much. I’m a big Celtics fan, so I follow closely to the game updates and highlights and stuff like that. It’s been a rollercoaster season. Unbelievable, but I still love them as a fan. Up now: Cubs reliever Steve CishekWhat’s one of your first baseball memories?CISHEK: Probably making it to our state championship, almost making it to regionals in Little League. We lost our first-round game, won the second game, but somehow didn’t qualify to make it to play another one. I think it’s the furthest anyone from our town’s gone. So it was pretty sweet. I was 12.What’s the last show you binge-watched?CISHEK: “Designated Survivor,” probably. I’m not much of a TV guy.What’s your favorite free-time activity? CISHEK: Probably golf. I’m around a 10 to a 12 (handicap). I’m better now than I was 15 years ago.MORE: Watch ‘ChangeUp,’ a new MLB live whip-around show on DAZNWhat’s one talent you’d most like to have?CISHEK: I wish I could sing. Like a good, solid country voice or choir voice, whatever. Wherever sounds good to the ears.What’s best purchase you’ve ever made? CISHEK: My wife and I would probably say our golf cart that we ride around our neighborhood. I bought it off a neighbor with my meal money from the Marlins. We ended up using it like almost every night when we were in the offseason, just driving around with the girls, playing music and especially during Christmas time. Everyone has their lights on and we just play Christmas music every night and drive it around. So we’ve got this serious use out of this thing for like $1,200 bucks. I Velcro’d a Bluetooth speaker to the dashboard. I lifted it, put a roof on. last_img read more