Guatemala. Don’t put the Guatemalan press in quarantine! Receive email alerts News Red alert for green journalism – 10 environmental reporters killed in five years Help by sharing this information May 8, 2020 Find out more News August 21, 2020 Find out more News Follow the news on Guatemala August 25, 2008 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Editor of daily El Periódico abducted and drugged and a journalist assaulted within 24 hours News GuatemalaAmericas GuatemalaAmericas January 7, 2021 Find out more to go further Organisation Guatemala: 51 Signatories Call For Authorities To Drop Criminal Charges Against Indigenous Journalist Anastasia Mejía Reporters Without Borders today voiced its support and called for stepped up protection for the staff of the daily El Periódico, after its editor was abducted and injected with barbiturates and an investigative journalist was beaten up and threatened within a 24-hour period.Editor, José Rubén Zamora, was snatched on 20 August before being released barely conscious eight hours later while journalist, Oscar Ismatul, was ambushed the following day and threatened by four men who told him to “shut up”.“Despite the appearance of ordinary crime, since both victims were robbed, these attacks seem above all aimed at silencing staff on El Periódico”, the worldwide press freedom organisation said. “The warning was completely unmistakeable in the case of Oscar Ismatul, who has been writing articles for the paper about official corruption. Staff on El Periódico should get protection and we hope that a prompt investigation will uncover who was responsible”, it added.Ismatul was chased by four men in a white car after he left the office in the afternoon of 21 August. Realising he was being followed, he got into a bus but as he got off again the driver of the white car blocked his path, while the three others lying in wait on the street corner managed to trap him. They beat him up threatening him with guns and ordered him to “shut up” or face serious danger. His assailants also snatched his notes and papers, before forcing him to walk away in the opposition direction. Editor, José Rubén Zamora, who was abducted 24 hours earlier, had his mobile phone and credit cards stolen. It was discovered that that he had been injected with barbiturates as a result of a blood test taken after the incident. RSF_en Reporters Without Borders called for protection for the offices of the daily El Periódico and its most exposed staff, after its editor José Rubén Zamora was abducted and released seriously ill and one of his journalists, Oscar Ismatul, was beaten up 24 hours later.
Linkedin The funeral mass of the late heritage chief Denis Leonard (62), will take place today. Tributes from political, arts and business sectors continue to be paid to the Limerick Civic Trust founding director.Sign up for the weekly Limerick Post newsletter Sign Up A book of condolences was opened at Limerick City Hall yesterday in memory of Mr Leonard, who managed some of the city’s largest restoration projects.Mayor of Limerick Cllr Kevin Kiely said the city is indebted to the man who in 1983 established the first Civic Trust in the country. “He was a true gentleman who devoted his whole life to preserving Limerick’s architectural environment and heritage. He was one hundred per cent dedicated to improving Limerick’s environment and he always had the city’s best interests at the heart “.Mr Leonard is survived by his wife, Deirdre his three daughters Rachel, Sarah and Kate and his brothers Richard and Brian. Mr Leonard will be buried this Wednesday morning following the removal of his remains last night from The Georgian House, Pery Square to St Paul’s, Dooradoyle. The funeral will follow 12noon Mass at St Paul’s to Castlemungret Cemetery. Twitter NewsLocal NewsFuneral mass for Civic Trust founderBy admin – December 2, 2009 503 Facebook Print Advertisement WhatsApp Email Previous articleBoil notice issued in lower Shannon regionNext articleSean set for Atlantic row admin