Eagles bring back Timmy Jernigan on 1-year deal

first_img NFL Draft 2019: Odds, prop bets for Nashville Though he had time to test the market, the two parties obviously felt comfortable enough with each other for a reunion that will keep Jernigan alongside Fletcher Cox on the defensive front.  Roster Move: #Eagles and DT Tim Jernigan have agreed to terms on a one-year contract. #FlyEaglesFly pic.twitter.com/ANO443zXnx— Philadelphia Eagles (@Eagles) April 25, 2019The Eagles had reworked Jernigan’s contract last spring after he had surgery to repair a herniated disc in his back, converting a four-year deal he had signed in 2017 into a contract with three option years. Jernigan didn’t make it onto the field until late November and played in only five games for Philadelphia last season (three in the regular season, two in the playoffs), making the $11 million he would have been due in 2019 under his revised deal unpalatable, so the Eagles cut ties with him last month.  Related News The Eagles will keep Timmy Jernigan in the fold for the 2019 season after all. Six weeks after declining their option on the veteran defensive tackle, the Eagles announced Thursday they have re-signed him to a one-year deal — presumably at a much-reduced rate.  The 26-year-old Florida State product was a second-round pick by the Ravens in the 2014 draft and was dealt to Philadelphia for a third-round pick in April 2017. He played a key role on the Eagles’ 2017 Super Bowl-winning defense before spending most of last year on the sideline due to injury.last_img read more

GOP Says Renomination of Trump to Be Held in Private

first_imgThe GOP has announced a change in this year’s nomination process.The vote to re-nominate President Trump will be conducted in private later this month, and without any members of the news media present.A spokeswoman for the Republican National Convention cites the coronavirus pandemic for restricting press coverage from the Aug. 24 vote in Charlotte, North Carolina.“Given the health restrictions and limitations in place within the state of North Carolina, we are planning for the Charlotte activities to be closed press Friday, August 21 — Monday, August 24,” the RNC convention spokesperson said in a statement Saturday.“We are happy to let you know if this changes, but we are working within the parameters set before us by state and local guidelines regarding the number of people who can attend events,” the spokesperson added.The pandemic has prompted numerous changes to the nominating process. Last month, the president cancelled convention activities that were set to take place in Jacksonville, Florida.Formal proceedings of the Republican National Convention, including the vote to formally nominate Trump as the 2020 GOP nominee, are still expected to take place in Charlotte.The proceedings on the Monday of the convention, including the re-nomination vote, will be live-streamed.Space restrictions mean that not all delegates will attend either. Instead, 336 delegates will there, or one for every six delegates.Associated Press reporter Zeke Miller, the president of the White House Correspondents’ Association, has called the decision to close convention activities to the press an “an ill-advised decision” and is asking the GOP to “reconsider.” He tweeted: Nominating conventions are typically major media events, as political parties try to gain coverage of the events to spread their message to as many voters as possible.If the GOP’s decision stands, it will mark the first time in modern history that a party nominating convention would be closed to reporters.last_img read more