In a recent interview, Civil Aviation Authority of the Philippines (CAAP) Iloilo terminal supervisor Art Parreño said he was unsure when would commercial flights resume at the Iloilo Airport. Thus, according to Gov. Arthur Defensor Jr., the tentative date of resumption of commercial flights at the Iloilo Airport in Cabatuan is June 16. ILOILO – The modified general community quarantine (MGCQ) ends on June 15 unless extended. Commercial flights to and from Iloilo were suspended in March this year when the community quarantine was enforced to curb the spread of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19). “As of now, we don’t expect any tourists,” said Defensor, pointing out the prevailing threat of the corona virus disease (COVID-19) pandemic. The resumption rests on the provincial government’s decision. The Inter-Agency Task Force for the Management of Emerging Infectious Diseases gave local government units (LGU) the discretion to decide when to reopen airports in their turfs. Thus, should commercial flights resume, Defensor said, they should prioritize returning Ilonggo overseas workers and locally stranded individuals. The NOTAM would have ended on June 10. Before the COVID-19 pandemic, the Iloilo Airport served around 25 arrival and departure flights daily, said Parreño. CAAP extended to June 15 the NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) reiterating the closure of the airport in line with Defensor Jr.’s Executive Order No. 128 restricting travel – including air travel – in the province until that day – the last day of the MGCQ. Classified as an international airport, the Iloilo Airport is the first airport in both Western Visayas and the island of Panay to be built to international standards. It is also considered to be the primary gateway into the region./PN
The GOP has announced a change in this year’s nomination process.The vote to re-nominate President Trump will be conducted in private later this month, and without any members of the news media present.A spokeswoman for the Republican National Convention cites the coronavirus pandemic for restricting press coverage from the Aug. 24 vote in Charlotte, North Carolina.“Given the health restrictions and limitations in place within the state of North Carolina, we are planning for the Charlotte activities to be closed press Friday, August 21 — Monday, August 24,” the RNC convention spokesperson said in a statement Saturday.“We are happy to let you know if this changes, but we are working within the parameters set before us by state and local guidelines regarding the number of people who can attend events,” the spokesperson added.The pandemic has prompted numerous changes to the nominating process. Last month, the president cancelled convention activities that were set to take place in Jacksonville, Florida.Formal proceedings of the Republican National Convention, including the vote to formally nominate Trump as the 2020 GOP nominee, are still expected to take place in Charlotte.The proceedings on the Monday of the convention, including the re-nomination vote, will be live-streamed.Space restrictions mean that not all delegates will attend either. Instead, 336 delegates will there, or one for every six delegates.Associated Press reporter Zeke Miller, the president of the White House Correspondents’ Association, has called the decision to close convention activities to the press an “an ill-advised decision” and is asking the GOP to “reconsider.” He tweeted: Nominating conventions are typically major media events, as political parties try to gain coverage of the events to spread their message to as many voters as possible.If the GOP’s decision stands, it will mark the first time in modern history that a party nominating convention would be closed to reporters.
Former NFL safety Darren Sharper,leaves a courthouse Friday Feb.14, 2014, after his arraignment on rape charges was postponed, in Los Angeles. (AP Photo/Nick Ut )LOS ANGELES (AP) — Prosecutors charged former NFL safety Darren Sharper on Friday with raping and drugging two women in California and disclosed he is under investigation in connection with five more drug-related rapes in three other states.Sharper briefly appeared in Los Angeles Superior Court, where his arraignment was postponed until Feb. 20 at the request of his lawyers. They issued a statement saying he would be exonerated.Prosecutors then filed a motion to increase Sharper’s bail to $10 million and outlined details of investigations involving him in Las Vegas, Tempe, Ariz., and New Orleans.Sharper has not been charged in the other jurisdictions.In the bail motion, Los Angeles County Investigator John Maccharella described a pattern in which the former football star met women at clubs or parties and lured them to a hotel room, where they were allegedly drugged and raped.The motion says the incidents happened in the past five months, with two occurring within a day in Los Angeles and Las Vegas.After conferring with police in other jurisdictions, Maccharella said in the bail motion that the first assault followed an event for New Orleans Saints football players on Sept. 22, 2013.Maccharella said he was told a woman went to a New Orleans bar with Sharper, consumed an alcoholic beverage provided by him and blacked out. She awoke the next morning while being sexually assaulted, the bail motion stated, noting that an exam later showed Sharper’s DNA was present.The Los Angeles charges were based on incidents on Oct. 30, 2013, and Jan. 14, 2014, beginning at a West Hollywood nightclub. Sharper allegedly met two women each time, invited them to a party then said he had to stop at his hotel.In the October incident, each woman was given a shot of an alcoholic beverage before blacking out, and one later awoke to find the other being sexually assaulted, the charging documents state.In January, a woman awoke and suspected she had been assaulted, the documents state.Similar scenarios played out on Jan. 15 in Las Vegas and on Nov. 20, 2013, in Arizona, the bail motion states.In Los Angeles, Sharper is facing two counts of rape by use of drugs, four counts of furnishing a controlled substance, and one count of possession of a controlled substance.The complaint alleges the drugs involved were morphine and zolpidem, which is sold under the brand name Ambien.Sharper was represented by prominent Los Angeles attorneys Blair Berk and Leonard Levine.“We look forward to the true facts being revealed in this case,” Berk said after the brief court appearance. “And we are hopeful Mr. Sharper will be fully exonerated before this case is concluded.”Sharper, 38, played in the NFL from 1997 to 2010, mostly with the Packers.Sharper was arrested on Jan. 17. He was allowed to remain free on $200,000 bail and ordered to surrender his passport. He has not entered a plea.Superior Court Judge Roberto Longoria did not immediately take up the bail motion.Sharper’s lawyers refused to comment on the other investigations.If convicted in the California case, Sharper could face more than 30 years in state prison.Sharper was selected All-Pro six times and chosen for the Pro Bowl five times. He played in two Super Bowls, one with the Packers as a rookie and a second with the Saints.