Although injured, Congolese reporter denied release and medical care pending appeal

first_img February 24, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Democratic Republic of CongoAfrica Protecting journalists ImprisonedViolence Congolese reporter wounded by gunshot while covering protest in Goma News Steeve Mwanyo Iwewe was badly beaten by the governor’s bodyguards when they arrested him on the governor’s orders as he was covering a protest by disgruntled government employees in Mbandaka, the provincial capital, on 27 February.The governor accused Iwewe of calling him a “thief” during his coverage of the protest for Radio Télé Sarah (RTS), a local TV station owned by a former governor who is the current governor’s leading challenger in today’s gubernatorial elections in the DRC.According to a medical report seen by RSF, Iwewe is suffering from contusions to the head, chest and genitals that need further examination and treatment “in an appropriate medical centre.”Although he has appealed against the one-year prison sentence that he received two days after his arrest on a charge of insulting the governor, the authorities have neither released him provisionally nor authorized his transfer to a hospital for the treatment he needs.“It is unacceptable that this journalist, who was arrested, beaten and summarily sentenced to a long jail term, continues to be deprived of both his freedom and appropriate medical attention while his assailants go unpunished,” said Arnaud Froger, the head of RSF’s Africa desk. “With a decision on his appeal due by the end of the week, we urge the authorities to end this persecution, so that he can be freed from prison and seek medical attention.”The DRC’s new president, Félix Tshisekedi, gave an encouraging signal in his inaugural address on 24 January when he said he wanted the media to become a “real fourth estate.” A complete break is needed with the practices that prevailed under his predecessor, Joseph Kabila, regarded by RSF as one of Africa’s worst press freedom predators.However, the past few weeks have seen attacks on media outlets and journalists, especially by the new president’s supporters. Iwewe is the first journalist to arbitrarily receive a prison sentence under the new presidentThe DRC is ranked 154th out of 180 countries in RSF’s 2018 World Press Freedom Index. Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls for the immediate release of a TV journalist who needs medical attention for the injuries he received when arrested a month ago by the bodyguards of the governor of Equateur province, in the northwest of the Democratic Republic of Congo. Reporter jailed in DRC for allegedly defaming parliamentarian Crédit : Steeve Iwewe News News Help by sharing this information center_img to go further RSF_en Democratic Republic of CongoAfrica Protecting journalists ImprisonedViolence February 16, 2021 Find out more Follow the news on Democratic Republic of Congo February 18, 2021 Find out more Organisation March 26, 2019 Although injured, Congolese reporter denied release and medical care pending appeal Journalist arrested on provincial governor’s orders Newslast_img read more

Another Late Night Presents…

first_imgCLUBBING COLD AND FUNKY PRESENTS House-core electro beat breaks and hip-hop groove mash off with Karl Murphy and Keith Anderson. GIGGING THERAPY? The ultimate in angsty metal-core, grinding grunge-death and gothmosh . Go along and mourn having missed Mogwai.ARCHIVE: 3rd Week TT 2003last_img

Premiership: Man Utd Beats Burnley, Rashford Sent off

first_imgWatford also earns maximum pointsManchester United recovered from back-to-back defeats to beat Burnley despite Paul Pogba missing a penalty and Marcus Rashford being sent off.Romelu Lukaku scored twice in the first half as the Red Devils – beaten by Brighton and Tottenham in their previous two Premier League matches – were largely untroubled by their hosts.Pogba had the chance to stretch United’s lead midway through the second half but his penalty – after Aaron Lennon fouled Rashford – was saved by former Manchester City goalkeeper Joe Hart. And two minutes later the visitors were reduced to 10 men when Rashford was sent off for leaning into Burnley defender Phil Bardsley with his head.That made the closing stages unnecessarily tense for Jose Mourinho’s side, but the Clarets were unable to find a way through.Victory took United up to 10th in the table – level on points with Everton in seventh.United’s first-half performance at Turf Moor was thoroughly professional, but it was a different story in the second 45 minutes.The build-up to the match had been dominated by discussion of the Red Devils’ stuttering start to the season, and the club’s executive vice-chairman was the target of a banner that flew over the ground before kick-off reading ‘Ed Woodward: A specialist in failure’.If the United players were aware, they were unaffected during a comfortable first half.Lukaku looked back to his clinical best when he rose highest to power home Alexis Sanchez’s clipped cross after 27 minutes.And the Belgian reacted well for his second on the cusp of half-time, slamming the ball home after a series of kind deflections.But, with the game stretched in the second half, he failed to complete a hat-trick – squandering the best chance after rounding Hart under pressure from Ben Mee.Rashford, who had won the penalty shortly after coming on, lost his cool in an altercation with Bardsley and was shown the first red card of his career.More pleasingly for Mourinho, his defence – again changed from the previous match – looked solid, keeping United’s first clean sheet of the season and a 10th in their past 11 visits to Turf Moor.A second home defeat of the season leaves Burnley 19th in the table with just one point taken from their opening four matches.They offered little throughout, perhaps affected by their Europa League exit to Olympiakos on Thursday.Elsewhere, Watford maintained their perfect start to the Premier League season as they came from behind to shock Tottenham at Vicarage Road.Both sides began the match with 100% records but Craig Cathcart’s second-half header edged a tight encounter.Captain Troy Deeney had drawn his side level seven minutes earlier, cancelling out Spurs’ fortuitous opener as Watford midfielder Abdoulaye Doucoure bundled into his own net.And Watford held on to win their opening four games of a league campaign for the first time in 30 years and join Liverpool and Chelsea on maximum points at the top of the table.Share this:FacebookRedditTwitterPrintPinterestEmailWhatsAppSkypeLinkedInTumblrPocketTelegramlast_img read more