Brilliant Taylor shines for Windies

first_imgJOHANNESBURG (CMC):Captain Stafanie Taylor struck an invaluable half-century as part of a solid all-roundperformance to power West Indies Women to a convincing series-levelling 45-run victory over South Africa Women in the second Twenty20 International here yesterday.Sent in at the New Wanderers Stadium, the Windies Women marched to 143 for six off their 20 overs with Taylor top-scoring with an attractive 63.The Jamaican then captured two for 17 from four overs of off-spin as the Proteas Women crashed to a paltry 98 all out in the 19th over.The third and final game is set for Newlands in Cape Town on Wednesday.West Indies Women had a poor start, losing openers Kycia Knight (4) and Hayley Matthews (1) cheaply to seamer Shabnim Ismail (3-25) to slip to 17 for two in the third over.Knight top-edged a pull to point off the fourth delivery of the opening over while Matthews was taken at mid-off off a leading edge.Taylor and Deandra Dottin, who scored 19, then put on 68 for the third wicket to put the innings back on course.The right-handed Taylor faced 53 balls and struck seven fours and one six, while Dottin once again looked in good touch in gathering two fours off 27 deliveries.In reply, the Proteas Women struggled from the outset, fell further and further behind the run rate and failed to find a way back.No player reached 20 as Marizanne Kapp top-scored with 17 to be one of only four players in double figures.Taylor was supported by off-spinner Anisa Mohammed (2-16) and Matthews (2-17), who finished with two wickets apiece.last_img read more

QZ8501: Out of control

first_imgEvidence is mounting that AirAsia flight QZ8501 encountered a freak weather event that sent it on a terrifying ride before it plummeted into the ocean.Radar play back of the plane’s flight path leaked by Indonesian authorities show it climbing at 9000ft a minute and then being slammed into a dive at 11,000ft a minute with bursts of up to 24,000ft a minute. But the plane’s forward speed was barely 100km/ hour.Earlier this week AirlineRatings.com broke the news that the plane was well above its assigned altitude and at a forward speed less than required to sustain flight.Controllers lost contact with the A320 just four minutes after its crew requested a deviation of their route to avoid storms.An A320 check captain told AirlineRatings.com that the leaked data was an accurate representation of Flt QZ8501. “If these figures are correct, QZ8501 was in a stall almost exactly equal to the parameters recorded on AF447,” he said. “The aircraft was out of control. It’s scary how similar to AF447 it looks.”Air France 447 was lost in the mid Atlantic in 2009. The French investigator found that the A330 crashed after inconsistencies between the airspeed measurements – due most likely to the A330’s pitot tubes being obstructed by ice – caused the autopilot to disconnect.It concluded that the crew reacted incorrectly and ultimately led the A330 to an aerodynamic stall from which they did not recover.AirAsia chief executive Tony Fernandes said that preliminary investigations suggest that the A320 encountered “very unique weather.”The Airbus A320 was flying between Surabaya and Singapore with 162 passengers and crew on Sunday when it disappeared off radar in 42 minutes into the flight. Indonesia navy divers have been searching the ocean floor for any sign of QZ8501 but bad weather hampered those efforts.And the outlook is getting worse with winds of up to 32km/hour whipping up 2 to 3 metre seas with white caps forecast over the next four days making spotting and recovery of debris difficult.On Wednesday an Indonesian official told CNN that a Navy ship using sonar diction equipment had found the plane but later Mr Fernandes discounted that claim.Separately French and Singaporean crash investigators have arrived to help in the recovery of the plane’s black boxes. Those investigators are using sensors to try and pick up a signal from the A320s emergency locator transmitter.A new passenger list released by the Indonesian Transport Ministry has revealed that 23 passengers, including two families, missed the flight – some due to a mix-up on the departure time.The original bookings for the flight totalled 177 made up of 157 adults, 20 children and four infants. Actual uplift was 138 adults, 16 children and 1 infant.The crew were made up of two pilots, one engineer and four flight attendants.last_img read more

CWG scam: CBI says babus clean on Swiss timer deal but no respite for Kalmadi

first_imgTop government officials might have been party to the awarding of the controversial time scoring and results (TSR) system contract to Swiss Omega for the Commonwealth Games. But the CBI believes the criminal culpability in the case stops at CWG organising committee chairman Suresh Kalmadi’s door.CBI sources said there was little likelihood of government officials, who were in committees that vetted the deal, being called for questioning. A senior official answered in the negative when asked if the OC’s CEO Jarnail Singh would be summoned.A letter by Singh, in which he pitched aggressively for the Swiss firm and said its bidding and credentials were the best, does not make him a suspect as he was not involved in the process of selecting the firm, sources said.The CBI’s decision is likely to be contested by many who believe Kalmadi was but one among the many top shots who conspired to line their pockets as the government cleared the red tape to ensure CWG projects were completed on time.Urban development secretary M. Ramachandran, sports secretary Sindhushree Khullar and additional secretary (finance) V. Ramachandran attended the third meeting of the finance subcommittee on December 17, 2009, which approved the tender for TSR system. Rahul Bhatnagar, a joint secretary in the sports ministry, was among the special invites.”The selection of Swiss Timing was done by putting every stage through the highest level of scrutiny not only by the OC finance committee … but also the empowered finance sub-committee constituted by the government, which is chaired by the secretary (urban development),” his letter said.advertisementSingh, in a letter on February 10, 2010 to Bhatnagar also vouched for the integrity of the OC and the Swiss firm. “The Swiss firm knew they are the only bidder, they need not have given any discounts from their commercial offer. Yet, the OC was successful in obtaining a discount of Rs 26.35 crore, which reflects on the integrity of both the vendor and the buyer,” he wrote.But a former OC official disagreed with the CBI. “There were many allegations against Kalmadi after preparations for the Games began. The gov-ernment constituted several teams to ensure his decisions were vetted. It would be wrong to put all the blame on him,” he said.”The government officials, including Singh, must be blamed as they failed to prevent the loot of public money,” he added.Singh claimed the decision to give the contract to the Swiss firm was Kalmadi’s and the executive board led by him. “I have not approved the TSR deal. It was decided long back,” he said.last_img read more

10 months agoBarcelona coach Valverde delighted with Levante rout: Very different to last year

first_imgAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say Barcelona coach Valverde delighted with Levante rout: Very different to last yearby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveBarcelona coach Ernesto Valverde was delighted with their 5-0 win at Levante.Lionel Messi shone for the Catalans as the Argentine bagged three goals and provided two assists.”We are happy because last year we played here and conceded five after a whole season without losing,” Valverde said.”That was only a few months ago, they are having a great season and they keep showing that.”We remembered last year and we managed to put it behind us and leave with a clean sheet.”Levante started well on Sunday but ultimately fell short and Valverde says he expected the game to begin as it did.”They started as we imagined,” he said.”We had to change the setup based on the casualties we had so it was difficult for us and they squeezed us.”They’re able to score and dangerous when they counterattack but we had the fortune of opening the score.” last_img read more

10 months agoDONE DEAL: Sporting CP keeper Emiliano Viviano joins SPAL

first_imgTagsTransfersAbout the authorCarlos VolcanoShare the loveHave your say DONE DEAL: Sporting CP keeper Emiliano Viviano joins SPALby Carlos Volcano10 months agoSend to a friendShare the loveFormer Italy goalkeeper Emiliano Viviano has joined SPAL.Viviano has moved to SPAL on-loan to the end of the season from Sporting CP.The 33-year-old only joined Sporting last summer after four years as Sampdoria’s No 1, along with Stefano Sturaro and Sinisa Mihajlovic.However, a change of board at Sporting has seen Viviano failing to make any appearances in the first half of 2018-19. last_img

BC tech advocate to help boost federal funding for innovative projects

first_imgVICTORIA – British Columbia has appointed its first innovation commissioner to advocate for the province’s technology sector in Ottawa, Washington state and abroad.Alan Winter will take on the newly created role for one year, with an option to extend his job based on performance.Premier John Horgan says Winter’s role would create opportunities for tech companies and shepherd innovation across all industries and regions in the province.Winter’s appointment is part of the May 2017 confidence and supply agreement between the NDP and the Green party to support the technology sector.Green party Leader Andrew Weaver says Winter’s position would help B.C. companies tap into existing federal programs.Winter is formerly president of the non-profit organization Genome BC and says in a statement that his first priority will be championing Canada’s so-called digital technology supercluster, a B.C.-led industry consortium.last_img read more

Ohio State mens basketball hoping to extend win streak against Penn State

The road hasn’t been too kind to the Ohio State men’s basketball team this season. Of the Buckeyes’ four losses on the year, three (Duke, Illinois, Michigan State) have come outside of the friendly confines of the Schottenstein Center. OSU (14-4, 4-2 Big Ten) is set to play an away game Saturday, but they shouldn’t have too much trouble notching a win. The team the Buckeyes are traveling roughly five hours to play is the conference’s worst club: Penn State. The Nittany Lions (8-11, 0-7) are the Big Ten’s only winless team in conference play. Their leading scorer, senior point guard Tim Fraizer, is out for the year with an injury after playing in just four games. PSU has struggled heavily to score the ball, as the Nittany Lions rank near the bottom of the country in nearly all offensive team statistics. Still searching for a team identity, as senior forward Evan Ravenel said, the Buckeyes are looking to start a win streak after defeating Iowa Tuesday night in Columbus, 72-63. If history is any proof, OSU shouldn’t have too much trouble doing that Saturday. The Buckeyes have won 17 straight games against PSU and have been victorious in the last six meetings that took place in State College, Pa. “I don’t know what it is. I do like the way we’ve come out of there in the times we’ve gone, though,” OSU coach Thad Matta said, speaking about his team’s previous treks to play the Nittany Lions on the road. Matta said has been sure to point out to his team that PSU has shown the capability in the past to knock off a ranked opponent, though. “He doesn’t want it to be us,” Ravenel said. The Buckeyes played like they were ready to go in practice this week, according to Matta. “If you don’t come to practice ready to play, you’re going to look really bad. I think guys have caught on to that,” Matta said. OSU’s leading scorer, Deshaun Thomas, will be coming off an injury Saturday. The junior forward gashed the area above his right eye in the contest against the Hawkeyes Tuesday and received six stitches. Thomas has been playing in the Big Ten for two-plus years, but the battle scar was the first he’s gotten. “In high school people barely touched me. Now, the Big Ten is physical,” Thomas said. OSU and PSU are set to tip-off at noon Saturday. read more

Nightmare start of the season for Keylor Navas

first_imgThe Costa Rican goalkeeper will be terrified of the way things have started this season with Real MadridKeylor Navas must be terrified of how things have started for him this season.First of all, Real Madrid signed Belgian goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois, which of course puts his job with Los Merengues in jeopardy.Then he received four goals against Atletico Madrid during yesterday’s UEFA Super Cup match, marking the start of the 2018-2019 season for Los Blancos.Sergio Ramos, Real MadridZidane reveals Sergio Ramos injury concern for Real Madrid Andrew Smyth – September 14, 2019 Zinedine Zidane has put Sergio Ramos’ availability for Real Madrid’s trip to Sevilla next weekend in doubt after withdrawing him against Levante.The Costa Rican goalkeeper didn’t receive four goals since November 21st, 2015, when he and Real Madrid faced Barcelona.That night at Santiago Bernabeu his team lost 4-0 against the Blaugrana.Navas was lucky that Courtois was not registered for the European match on Wednesday, and was able to give a regular performance.But if things continue, the Costa Rican might not be under the goal when his team plays Getafe CF on Sunday.last_img read more