Ban Ki-moon Secretary-General United Nations New York United States March 18, 2021 Find out more News Receive email alerts IranMiddle East – North Africa Call for Iranian New Year pardons for Iran’s 21 imprisoned journalists Iran is stepping up pressure on journalists, including foreign journalists, in run-up to election IranMiddle East – North Africa With 26 media workers and 18 netizens in prison, Iran has the world’s second largest number of journalists behind bars, after China.The lives of a number of imprisoned journalists and netizens who are ill and weak, physically and psychologically, are a cause for concern. They are in constant danger, as confirmed in letters written by detainees’ families to Ahmed Shaheed, the UN special rapporteur on human rights in Iran. Although Mr. Shaheed has a mandate from the UN Human Rights Council, the Iranian authorities have said they will not allow him to enter Iran. Your spokesman, Martin Nesirky, has said that “by going he is making the extent of international concern all that much clearer”. However, there is no doubt that the Islamic Republic will take advantage of regional tension and the talks on its nuclear program to distract attention from the seriousness of its human rights abuses, as it has done for years.This summit provides an opportunity for talks with Iranian authorities on the issue of respect for basic rights and the release of jailed journalists and bloggers, in parallel with discussions on Iran’s nuclear program. We wish to convey our serious concern about the following: 1)The conviction and imprisonment of women journalists and netizens The Islamic Republic of Iran holds the dubious record of the country with the most convictions of women journalists and bloggers. According to information received by Reporters Without Borders, since June 2009 at least 57 have been arrested and sentenced by revolutionary courts to prison terms of between six months seven years. Organisation 2) The arbitrary arrest and incommunicado detention of journalists and netizens carried out systematically by the authorities. On 22 August, 72-year-old Mir Hossein Mousavi, a former prime minister and owner of the suspended newspaper Kalameh Sabaz, was admitted to hospital in Tehran after suffering a heart problem. The next day, he was moved to an unknown location where he remains under house arrest.Mousavi and his wife Zahra Rahnavard, a popular writer, have been under house arrest for more than 18 months, together with Mehdi Karoubi, a former speaker of Parliament and the owner of another suspended newspaper, Etemad Melli. They have been deprived of all rights since then. Karoubi also suffers from health problems. His wife, Fatemeh Karoubi, editor of the magazine Iran dokhte, was also arrested but was released in September last year. Follow the news on Iran Dear Secretary-General, As you prepare to attend the summit of the Non-Aligned Movement in Tehran on 30 and 31 August, Reporters Without Borders wishes to draw your attention to the woeful state of freedom of information in Iran, and to the repression suffered by journalists, netizens and Iranian civil society as a whole.Our organization, which campaigns for freedom of news and information, notes that since the disputed re-election of President Mahmoud Ahmedinejad in June 2009, bloggers and new media organizations have joined traditional journalists among those classified as “enemies of the government’ and subjected to regular censorship and surveillance. While the government has been organizing the summit, the crackdown on the media has intensified. Several Iranian journalists have been prevented from covering the meeting and the Ministry of Culture and Islamic Guidance has issued an official decree ordering media outlets “to avoid mentioning internal problems in the presence of foreign guests” and proclaiming: “All newspapers must actively promote the summit.” Accredited journalists have been instructed “not to ask any questions that embarrass the government”. On two occasions last year, 14 March and 17 October, you expressed concern about reports of the “increased number of executions, amputations, arbitrary arrests and detentions, unfair trials, torture and ill-treatment, particularly the crackdown on human rights activists, lawyers, journalists and opposition activists” in Iran. We welcome your stand on this issue. Since then, human rights have unfortunately steadily deteriorated. Summonses and arbitrary arrests of journalists and netizens by the Intelligence Ministry and the Revolutionary Guards are still going on. Detainees in the country’s prisons, such as Evin and Rajaishahr, continue to be ill-treated. Christophe DeloireDirector General, Reporters Without Borders News Help by sharing this information Iran: Press freedom violations recounted in real time January 2020 Yours sincerely. In recent days, three women journalists, Jila Bani Yaghoob, Shiva Nazar Ahari and Rihaneh Tabatabai, have been summoned by the judicial authorities to serve sentences of, respectively, one year’s imprisonment and a 30-year ban on working as a journalist, a four-year prison sentence and 74 lashes, and six months’ imprisonment.The netizens Ladan Mostoufi Ma’ab, Hanieh Sate Farshi, sentenced to five and seven years respectively, and the journalist Mahssa Amrabadi, who received a two-year prison term, are serving their sentences in Evin prison. Amrabadi is married to the journalist Masoud Bastani, who has been held in Rajaishahr prison since July 2009.The netizen Mansoureh Behkish received a six-month sentence last month for “propaganda against the system” and a three-and-a-half-year suspended sentence for “assembly and conspiring with the intent to harm national security”. Behkish, who has been imprisoned several times, will be taken into custody shortly. June 11, 2021 Find out more to go further News RSF_en Paris, 29 August 2012 June 9, 2021 Find out more August 29, 2012 – Updated on January 20, 2016 Open letter from Reporters Without Borders to Ban-Ki-moon on the occasion of his visit to Iran News Contrary to national and international laws, no independent national or foreign observers have been allowed to visit Iran’s prisons to record and publicize any violations of the basic rights of those held there. On behalf of the international community, we urge you to compel the Iranian authorities to cooperate fully with the United Nations and to comply with their international undertakings, in particular the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights to which Iran is party. On behalf of the international community, it is incumbent on you to request the unconditional release of all prisoners of conscience in Iran. We thank you for your consideration of our comments and observations in the interests of making freedom of news and information a reality in Iran.
News Operation to clear pod of 30 whales will cost over €10,000 Twitter WhatsApp Google+ Man arrested in Derry on suspicion of drugs and criminal property offences released WhatsApp Pinterest Pinterest Google+ Twitter HSE warns of ‘widespread cancellations’ of appointments next week Facebook 70% of Cllrs nationwide threatened, harassed and intimidated over past 3 years – Report Previous articleNumber of areas linked to Lough Mourne supply to have services curtailed tonightNext articleDonegal Youth Council suspended News Highland RELATED ARTICLESMORE FROM AUTHOR By News Highland – December 8, 2010 Facebook Donegal County Council has been told that the operation to clear a pod of over 30 dead whales which were washed up on Rutland Island in November will cost over €10,000. The money will have to come from the council’s own resources.Acting Director of Service Joe Peoples told members the clear up operation would cost over €10,000, and at this stage, not all of the payments have been made for the clean-up exercise.Cllr. David Alcorn, who raised the issue, also asked whether the county council would be reimbursed for the expenditure. Mr. Peoples said that they would not.The 33 whale pod had been observed in waters between Arranmore Island and Burtonport during the week before they beached themselves on Rutland. Initially, the council planned to bury the whales on Rutland, but after concerns were expressed locally, it was decided to take the carcasses off the island and bring them to an incinerator in Cavan. Minister McConalogue says he is working to improve fishing quota Dail to vote later on extending emergency Covid powers Dail hears questions over design, funding and operation of Mica redress scheme
FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享Renewables Now:The developers of the 500-MW Fecamp offshore wind project today announced the launch of the construction process, having closed financing deals between them and the financial partners.EDF Renewables and Canada-based Enbridge Inc each hold 35% stakes in the project, while the offshore wind unit of Wpd has the remaining 30% interest. They said that the total project capital cost amounts to EUR 2 billion (USD 2.23bn) and that most of it will be covered with non-recourse project level debt.The parties also confirmed they have awarded a wind turbine supply contract to Siemens Gamesa Renewable Energy SA, which yesterday said it will deliver 71 units of the SWT-7.0-154 model for the project. SGRE plans to start building works on a new turbine manufacturing plant in Le Havre this summer.The Fecamp wind park is expected to be commissioned in 2023, when it will start selling electricity under a 20-year power purchase agreement (PPA) that was awarded to the consortium in June 2018. The output of the plant will be enough to meet the annual consumption of about 770,000 people.[Ivan Shumkov]More: Developer trio kicks off construction of 500-MW Fecamp offshore wind farm Developers begin work on 500MW, $2.2 billion wind farm off the French coast
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York The Post Master of the Jamesport U.S. Post Office has been arrested for allegedly stealing from her job, Riverhead Town Police said.Marie Puccio was charged with official misconduct, falsifying business records, grand larceny and petit larceny.The Riverhead News Review reported that she allegedly put down $2,000 worth of hours on her time card that she didn’t actually work over a three-month span.Police said the 52-year-old Rocky Point woman was released without bail following her initial appearance at Riverhead Town Justice Court, where she is due back next month.The investigation originated with the U.S. Postal Service Inspector General’s office, police noted. Representatives for the IG’s office did not immediately respond to requests for comment.A spokeswoman for the USPS said that Puccio is still employed by the agency, where she has worked since 1987, but could not provide additional details about the case.