Man playing football Rock Island came up winners in last Saturday’s Caribbean American Soccer Association (CASA) Super League at the Lauderhill Park. The Rock Island team was bolstered by a hat trick from last year’s golden boot winner, Gavin Lister.Team Haiti scored a thrilling 5-3 victory over Coral Springs. The effective Ruben Decis came up big after scoring all five goals for Team Haiti.In the Masters League, Lion Masters, stopped Attackers 3-1 while Oldtymers edged South Fort Lauderdale Kickers 1-0.Super league matches will continue on Saturday when Rockers FC battle Creekers Masters, Chapel Trail FC tackle Lauderdale FC, Creekers take on Lauderhill Juniors and Fort Lauderdale Blazers lock horns with Coral Springs FC.
A babysitter who took photos and videos of himself sexually abusing a toddler at the request of a Broward man must serve 60 years in prison, a federal judge in Miami ruled Thursday.Jason Barber, 39 of Las Vegas, previously pleaded guilty to charges including producing and distributing child pornography. Benedict Shaw, the man who police say received the images and requested certain poses of the 2-year-old, has been sentenced to 45 years in prison.U.S. District Court Judge Robert N. Scola Jr. handed down the 60-year sentence despite pleas from Barber’s defense attorney for a more lenient sentence of 30 years.“Before the court is an extremely frail, unstable and mentally infirmed man who was dealt an awful deck of cards from the very beginning,” Hugo Rodriguez wrote in a memorandum before Barber’s sentencing. “Jason understands and knows what he did was wrong, for which he is very remorseful.”In 2013, the South Florida Internet Crimes against Children Task Force, which is based in Broward County, received two cyber tips suspecting that dozens of child pornography images had been traded among several email accounts. The IP address led detectives to Shaw’s home in Lauderhill, records show. Law enforcement officers confirmed Shaw was communicating with Barber, who lived in Las Vegas.The two had met in an online chatroom for people with a diaper fetish, according to a news release from the U.S. Attorney’s Office on Thursday announcing Barber’s sentence. Shaw had shipped Barber a package with a cell phone, diapers, pacifiers and baby oil, theSun Sentinel reported at the time of Barber’s arrest.“Take pics and vids. This will make my night and my packages worthwhile,” Shaw wrote in one email to Barber obtained by the Sun Sentinel. “No one else will ever see it. I promise I never break my word.”Barber had convinced the mother of the child to allow him to watch the girl while she was at work, the U.S. Attorney’s Office said in the news release.“Barber used the cell phone to record himself sexually abusing the child in his care,” the office said in the release. “Barber then sent the video and several still images to Shaw via email.”Shaw, who had assumed his dead brother’s identity because of charges he faced in another state, was sentenced in October 2014.At the sentencing hearing, the girl’s mother confronted Shaw, the Sun Sentinel reported.“How dare you violate a child? How dare you do that to a child or anyone?” she said during the hearing, according to the paper. “I pray that you don’t feel what those children felt where you’re at.”
Us Border Patrol agents arrest immigrants held off the coast of Puerto Rico A Dominican Republic national, who was wanted on murder charges, was among seven Caribbean nationals nabbed trying to re-enter the United States via Puerto Rico after being deported.United States Customs and Border Protection (CBP) agents arrested five of them along with others on a wooden vessel intercepted by Puerto Rico police officers, while the other two who jumped in the water before the boat was intercepted were rescued near the coast of Aguadilla last week.Ramon Antonio Castillo, 51, was one of the two rescued from the water. US authorities said he has two active warrants for arrest from Puerto Rico and New York for homicide charges. Fellow Dominicans, Francisco Marte, 47; Ramon Villa, 36; Juanel Carpio Guerra, 34; Narciso Antonio Garcia-Jimenez, 45; Jafet Batista Severino, 28; and Manuel Paulino, 36; along with 66-year-old Haitian, Herman Radames Vendryes, were also apprehended.They were all charged for attempting to re-enter after being deported. In the case of Marte, Villa, and Vendryes, the deportation had followed their conviction on aggravated felonies.“Previously deported aliens that have been removed after serving time in our criminal justice system attempt to return concealing themselves among other migrants,” said Ramiro Cerrillo, Chief Patrol Agent for Ramey Sector in Aguadilla. “We remain vigilant to detect them and arresting them.”Marte, Villa, and Vendryes face a fine or imprisonment for not more than 20 years, or both, if convicted; while Guerra, Garcia-Jimenez, Severino and Paulino face a fine or imprisonment for not more than two years, or both, if found guilty.
It’s getting near to match time. Hero CPL match time, that is.The popular T20 cricket tournament’s South Florida leg bowls off on August 4 at Lauderhill Sports Park with St. Lucia Starsplaying Trinbago Knight Riders. Peter Miller, head of the Hero CPL’s media and communications unit, told CNW that fans will be able to access tickets for matches at 18 outlets. That is a Considerable jump from last year’s four.“The number of outlets increasing to 18 is a sign of the commitment from the Hero CPL to make the USA leg of the event a success this year and for many years to come,” said Miller.“Last year the marketing strategy was very much focused on the Diaspora community in South Florida and beyond. While that is also part of our strategy for 2017 we are branching out to mainstream media outlets in an attempt to gain traction into those that are new to cricket.”Since the CPL was launched seven years ago, high-profile players from outside the West Indies have played in the tournament. For Miller, it is important to attract fans from other member countries in the International Cricket Council.“Interest in the tournament in South Florida is spreading and with the CPL now into its second year of visiting Lauderhill there is name recognition for the event. That will only increase with the plan to come back to South Florida,” he explained.“With cricket being a growing sport in the USA, the audience comes from the Diaspora communities for the most part. They could be from any of the six nations that have CPL teams or from South Asia, Australia, and South Africa.”Defending champions Jamaica Tallawahs, last year’s runners-up Guyana Amazon Warriors, St. Kitts and Nevis Patriots and Barbados Trident are the other teams in the L.Copyright 2017 – Caribbean National Weekly News
Health Minister Dr. Christopher Tufton says obesity among adults in Jamaica is increasing by one per cent every year, contributing to illnesses such as diabetes and hypertension.Tufton, speaking at a recent symposium on “Trends of sugary drinks in Jamaica (2000-2017)” said if left unchecked, obesity and its consequences can retard and erode health and economic advances made over the last decade.He added that based on statistics, the Jamaican government is looking at fiscal measures to prevent obesity and other non-communicable diseases (NCDs), with a focus on sugar-sweetened beverages.Insufficient attention to obesityHe argued that while the population is conscious of the dangers associated with stroke, heart disease, cancer and other related ailments, not enough attention is paid to obesity “which is the most important underlying cause of death in Jamaica.”Particular concern re childrenHe noted that the Government is particularly concerned about children, as the risk of diabetes is several times greater in obese children, than those who are non-obese. “Overweight children also have an increased risk of later becoming obese adults,” he added.Tufton pointed out that diet is central to the prevention of obesity and its consequences. He said the major contributors to the disease are excessive calories from sugar and fat and attempts should be made to reduce consumption of these items and switch to healthier options such as water, root crops, fruits and vegetables.
Jamaica’s Minister of Tourism Edmund Bartlett says harassment of visitors must be curtailed to safeguard the gains, and surpass the industry’s progress achieved last year.Bartlett who was speaking at a function in the western city of Montego Bay on the weekend, said visitor harassment remains an issue for the tourism sector.History made“We made history in 2017 Jamaica when we welcomed 4.3 million visitors to the island. The sector (also generated) approximately US$3 billion in earnings, representing an 11.2 per cent increase (over 2016).“We cannot afford to reverse the gains we have made and continue to make. This is why it is so important to curb the vexing issue of visitor harassment, so that our thriving tourism sector can experience further expansion,” the minister said.Industry must be protectedHe pointed out that the industry, having soared to levels “beyond our wildest imagination” in 2017, must be “protected at all costs.”Bartlett said despite challenges with visitor harassment, recent surveys indicate that up to 60 per cent of tourists are “very satisfied” with the Jamaican experience, with 42 per cent being repeat visitors.“Our intention is for those numbers to be higher…so we have no room for complacency. The visit should resonate so well with those who land on our soil that they will unhesitatingly give us an A plus rating consistently,” he emphasized.Bartlett said, in this regard, industry stakeholders have a pivotal role to play in safeguarding the sector, adding that “we have to be very firm in our pledge to decrease incidents of harassment and, over time, see to its elimination”.
KINGSTON, JAMAICA – AUGUST 15: In this handout image provided by CPL T20, Oshane Thomas of Jamaica Tallawahs celebrates the wicket of Evin Lewis during the Hero Caribbean Premier League match between Jamaica Tallawahs and St Kitts and Nevis Patriots at Sabina Park on August 15, 2018 in Kingston, Jamaica. (Photo by Ashley Allen – CPL T20/Getty Images) *** Local Caption *** Oshane Thomas Some of the biggest names in West Indies cricket will play in the Hero Caribbean Premier League in South Florida at the Central Broward Regional Cricket Stadium in Lauderhill over the weekend of August 18 and 19, and on Wednesday, August 22.August has been a month of exciting cricket for South Florida cricket fans. First, the West Indies played Bangladesh in the second and third of a three-match T20 series in Lauderhill on August 4-5. That series like the forthcoming CPL matches took place at the Lauderhill stadium, the only ground in North America sanctioned by the International Cricket Council.The Caribbean CPL teams playing in South Florida over the next six days are the Jamaica Tallawahs, the Trinbago Knight Riders, the Barbados Tridents, and the Guyana Amazon Warriors.Dale Holness, big on South Florida cricketDale Holness, a long-serving member of the Broward County Commission, hails South Florida’s growing reputation as a hub for international cricket. New Zealand and India have played ODIs at Central Broward Regional Stadium, which also hosted Caribbean Premier League matches in 2016 and 2017.“These games are extremely important for South Florida. It has tremendous economic impact because you have visitors coming in from around the world,” he said. “More cricket matches, played at frequent intervals has the potential for significantly increasing the revenue of businesses in the City of Lauderhill, in particular, and Broward County in general.” Holness said the Broward Commission worked diligently to have the Central Broward Regional Stadium built and functioning, and firmly believe it can be the “epicenter” of cricket in the United States. “The objective is for Lauderhill to be the prime destination for international cricket in the United States. The more games that are played at the stadium it’s the more it will attract international teams, and the more it will attract cricket fans, local, national and international.”
Jamaican discuss champion Fredrick Dacres and Shanieka Ricketts, triple-jump champion, set championships records at the North American Central American and Caribbean Athletic Association (NACAC) Senior Championships held in Toronto, Canada over the past weekend.Jamaican ended the championships with 21 medals, seven gold, nine silver and five bronze, a significant improvement over nine medals won three years ago in the same meet held in San Juan, Costa Rica.Dacres threw 68.47m to lead a Jamaican first and second place finish in the men’s discus throw as Traves Smikle took second. Ricketts successfully defended her triple jump title with 14.25m (-0.9 m/s), improving her own record in the final round after a battle with American silver medalist Tori Franklin. Shericka Jackson also won a gold medal in the women’s 200m. Tajay Gayle in the men’s long jump, Smikle, Janieve Russell in the women’s 400m hurdles, Annsert Whyte in the men’s 400m hurdles, both female relay teams, and the men’s 4x400m team won silver medals, while Ramone Bailey in the men’s long jump and Nigel Ellis in the men’s 200m all won bronze medals.Dacres added yet another record to his growing list of achievements as, after setting the record at the Commonwealth Games in March, he surpassed the old record of 60.68m set in 2015 by American Russ Winger on all five of his legal throws as the first four men in the field of six also went past the old mark.Smikle, who had won the bronze at the Central American and Caribbean Games in Colombia just over a week ago, upgraded to silver with 65.46m with the USA’s Reggie Jagers taking bronze with 62.70m.Jackson edged Canada’s Crystal Emmanuel for the gold in the women’s 200m, in a record time of running 22.64 seconds, setting a new stadium record. America’s Phyllis Francis took third with 22.91 seconds as Jamaica’s Jodean Williams was fourth in 23.19 seconds.In the men 200m Trinidad’s Kyle Greaux won the gold in a championship record 20.11 seconds, under the 20.12 second set by Jamaica’s Rasheed Dwyer in 2015, while Canada’s Aaron Brown took the silver in 20.20 seconds.
HAVANA, Cuba, CMC – Cubans headed to the polls on Sunday, February 24, to vote in a referendum on a draft constitution to update its 1976 charter on the heels of significant economic reforms on the island over the past several years.The new constitution, that was approved in the National Assembly late last year after a popular consultation, enshrines private property and promotes foreign investment. “This is the Constitution we will leave our children and grandchildren, emphasizing the role of youth in the all the country’s current efforts. This Constitution dignifies and upholds the legacy of Fidel and Marti, and of Raul, and strengthens rights,” President Miguel Díaz-Canel Bermúdez told reporters shortly after voting on Sunday“This February 24 is day that reaffirms continuity. With a stronger Constitution that dignifies our country, an advanced Constitution. Today is a reaffirmation of our socialist nature. The war they wage against us is economic, they try to impact our identity, using even the pettiest things.”Eight million Cubans were eligible to vote on Sunday. More than 225,000 electoral authorities monitored voting, while 200,000 students served as stewards of the ballot boxes.The electoral commission will release preliminary results in a press conference on Monday (February 25) afternoon.
BRISTOL, England, CMC – West Indies captain Jason Holder isn’t too concerned about a lack of playing time for his troops following Sunday’s rained out match against South Africa.Only 12.4 overs were possible before heavy showers brought an end to the day’s proceedings, with South Africa 95 without loss.However, Holder said all of the players in the 15-man squad had either played in the Indian Premier League or took part in the recently concluded Tri-Nations Series involving Ireland and Bangladesh. “It was not ideal today with the rain, but it’s out of our control. Obviously, it’s a situation where we need to hope we get some cricket in in the next two days against New Zealand.“We just came from Ireland and playing the Tri-Nation Series there, so we’ve had a lot of cricket leading up to this. Some of the guys have been playing IPL cricket and everyone was playing cricket leading up to this tournament, so I think we’re all well attuned to the conditions and looking to start the tournament,” Holder said.In today’s shortened game, Proteas opener Hashim Amla scored an unbeaten half-century and together with Quinton de Kock scored at seven and a half runs an over.Most of the West Indies’ bowlers were expensive and Holder said there needed to be improvements in that area heading into Tuesday’s final warm-up match against New Zealand“We have to make some slight adjustments in terms of our length. I think generally we were a bit too short and we offered a bit of width at times too, so especially in these conditions where the ball doesn’t do as much I just think that you need to be as accurate as you possibly can in terms of holding a line and length and try to create some problems there,” Holder said.“If you stack up some dot balls and stack up some pressure overs together then more often than not you’ll get the wickets you’re looking for.”