100 Victims Still Waiting for Red Cross

first_imgFourteen days after a fire disaster rendered 100 people homeless on New Kru Town’s Karpeh Street, the victims are still waiting to hear from the Liberia National Red Cross Society, LNRCS. The LNRC team conducted an assessment three days after the incident, and informed the victims that help would be forthcoming. “We are still waiting to hear from the Red Cross,” community chairman Joe Carr told the Daily Observer yesterday. Three days after the incident, an official of the LNRC, Christopher Johnson, admitted to the Daily Observer that he had received a letter about the disaster from Mr. Carr. “We will send a team to assess the situation,” Johnson told the Daily Observer in a telephone interview on April 26. However, Chairman Carr told this newspaper during a visit yesterday that, “Red Cross people came here, but since they left, we have not heard from them.” Seven days after the visit of the LNRC team, Carr said the victims are still sleeping outdoors. “They have nowhere and no one to go to for help,” Carr said. “We need urgent help from the Red Cross, particularly since there are 50 children among them.”  Carr said a representative from the humanitarian group, Oxfam, contacted the community, wanting to help. “We are waiting for Oxfam, too,” Carr said. A visit by the Daily Observer yesterday saw disappointed women, children and older men and women sprawled in several areas, near where their zinc houses had stood. “This is where we sleep since the fire destroyed our place,” one of the women told the Daily Observer. “I lost everything and I am not even able to feed myself and my four children.”  She said Chairman Carr has been assisting with money and food. “How long can he continue to do that?” she asked. A Red Cross representative, who asked not to be identified, told the Daily Observer, yesterday, “We have done our assessment and we’ll get to them as soon as possible.” Carr meanwhile said a humanitarian, Mr. Dixon Siebo, last Saturday made a financial donation of LD15, 000 to the community to help the victims. Carr explained that the victims had lost hope that there was someone out there who was willing to help.“It’s been 14 days now since the fire incident and they are still waiting for a worthy organization to help,” Carr complained. With Red Cross’ promise, he said he is convinced that help will come, but appealed that it should not wait too long. “We don’t want additional problems,” Carr said.Share this:Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)last_img

Leave a Comment