Rafael Nadal pulls out of Brisbane International at the last minute

first_imgTop-ranked Rafael Nadal has withdrawn from the Brisbane International due to his “late start of preparation” for the new season.Brisbane International tournament director Cameron Pearson said Thursday that he had received word of Nadal’s withdrawal earlier in the day.The joint ATP and WTA tournament begins Sunday at Pat Rafter Arena.The 31-year-old Spaniard has not played since he withdrew from the season-ending World Tour Finals in London in November with a knee injury. He had already withdrawn from an exhibition tournament in Abu Dhabi that starts later on Thursday.”I am sorry to announce I won’t be coming to Brisbane this year,” Nadal said on his Twitter account.”My intention was to play but I am still not ready after last year’s long season and the late start of my preparation.”Nadal, who also cancelled a training block last week, returned from injury last year to reach the final of the Australian Open and win the titles at the French and U.S. Opens.He played in Brisbane last year as part of his preparations for Melbourne Park and made the quarter-finals before losing to Canada’s Milos Raonic.”I had a great time there (in 2017) and it was a great start to the month I spent in Australia,” Nadal added.”I will be seeing my Aussie fans when I land on the 4th in Melbourne and start there my preparation for the Australian Open.”The Australian Open runs from January 15-28.(With agency inputs)last_img

Leave a Comment