Today marks a sad chapter in music history, as the beloved R&B singer Prince passed away earlier today. As we continue to grieve over the loss of a legend, we turn to the healing power of music and explore a number of tributes performed by artists we love.The Revivalists started covering Prince last Halloween, when they dressed up and performed as The Purple One at the 9:30 Club in Washington D.C.. The videos from that show have since been taken down, per the request of Prince’s very specific regulations against music-sharing, though the New Orleans septet have continued playing homage to the legend since then. In Charleston, SC, they welcomed young singer/guitar virtuoso Marcus King to the stage for “Purple Rain”:They also did a smashing “When Doves Cry” cover in their hometown of New Orleans, at Tipitina’s last November:RIP Prince. We’ll miss you.
Beloved Boston-based jammers The Jauntee settled in at Funk & Waffles last weekend, playing the Syracuse, NY venue last Saturday, May 14th. The group put on a glorious show featuring a hearty serving of their original material, including the band’s song “Have You Ever.” To sweeten the show-ending performance, the band called on pianist Holly Bowling, who had previously performed at the Westcott Theatre, to sit-in on the jam.Check out this stellar version of “Have You Ever” featuring Bowling, below:You can also listen to the full audio of the performance, courtesy of taper Tyler Adams:The Jauntee recently announced dates for a major summer tour; check that out here!
The inaugural Waterloo Music Festival was announced in early May, set to take place at Austin, Texas’ Carson Creek Ranch from September 7th to 9th. In the initial lineup announcement phase, the festival revealed that it would host three nights of The String Cheese Incident, plus performances from Joe Russo’s Almost Dead, Railroad Earth, The Motet, BoomBox, TAUK, and Marco Benevento. In June, the event expanded on its standout lineup, adding Oteil & Friends (featuring Oteil Burbridge, Jay Lane, John Kadlecek, and Jeff Chimenti), Leftover Salmon, Easy Star All-Stars performing Dub Side of the Moon, Perpetual Groove, Orgone, Pimps of Joytime, Everyone Orchestra, BIG Something, Magic Beans, Tea Leaf Green, and others.Today, Waterloo Music Festival has announced its daily lineup, revealing the dates and stages for its various performers. Each day, the String Cheese Incident will close out the Waterloo Stage with a headlining set. Notably, the schedule mostly prevents overlapping sets across the Waterloo and Relix stages, meaning fans can enjoy non-stop music throughout the day.In addition to String Cheese Incident, Friday will see performances from Oteil & Friends, TAUK, Perpetual Groove, Austin Groove Project, Magic Beans, BIG Something, Montu, and Mamafesta. On Saturday, Joe Russo’s Almost Dead, The Motet, Orgone, Everyone Orchestra, Marco Benevento, Los Coast, Tea Leaf Green, Amoramora, and Big Wy’s Brass Band will perform across the day. On Sunday, Waterloo will host performances from BoomBox, Railroad Earth, Easy Star All-Stars, Pimps Of Joytime, Leftover Salmon, Kalu & The Electric Joint, Hard Proof, Sour Bridges, Deadeye, and Sarah Grace & The Soul.Furthermore, today, Waterloo Music Festival has announced that they will be releasing single-day tickets, which go on sale Friday, June 29th, at 10 am (CT). These passes are available in addition to three-day GA, VIP, and camping passes. For more information on the festival or ticketing, head to Waterloo’s website here.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A Lakeview man is facing arson charges after he allegedly poured gasoline onto his girlfriend’s clothes and lit them on fire Friday afternoon outside a Hempstead home, Nassau County police said.Ramell Cooper, 32, was arrested after he was discovered hiding under the oil tank in the boiler room of the home, police said. He was charged with reckless endangerment and arson.The incident occurred at 2:30 p.m. at a house on Stowe Place, police said.According to detectives, Cooper allegedly grabbed his girlfriend’s clothes and doused them with gasoline before lighting them on fire in the driveway. The ensuing fire and heat also damaged the house, police said.The Hempstead Fire Department responded and extinguished the fire, police said. Two females and a 5-year-old were in the home at the time of the incident, police said. Nobody was injured.Cooper, who also has an open Family Court warrant, will be arraigned Saturday at First District Court in Hempstead.
Sign up for our COVID-19 newsletter to stay up-to-date on the latest coronavirus news throughout New York A Hempstead man was sentenced Thursday to 25 years to life in prison for raping and nearly killing a 50-year-old Garden City woman during a home invasion shortly after Sandy.Artie Jackson had been convicted in October at Nassau County court of predatory sexual assault, rape, second-degree attempted murder, robbery, burglary, strangulation and sexual abuse.Prosecutors said the 46-year-old broke into the victim’s home, ate her food, rummaged through her belongings and tried to disable the house alarm before attacking the victim at knifepoint in her bedroom on Nov. 11, 2012.Jackson broke his victim’s nose and eye socket, strangled her with a zip tie until it sliced her neck and sexually assaulted her before dragging her down the stairs, authorities said. The victim was left unconscious and bleeding on the floor while Jackson stole her electronics and jewelry.The victim played dead until Jackson went back upstairs, when she escaped to a neighbor’s property, where she called police.Jackson is also facing charges in two other alleged home invasions and burglaries.
Would you like to read more?Register for free to finish this article.Sign up now for the following benefits:Four FREE articles of your choice per monthBreaking news, comment and analysis from industry experts as it happensChoose from our portfolio of email newsletters To access this article REGISTER NOWWould you like print copies, app and digital replica access too? SUBSCRIBE for as little as £5 per week.
Premier League planning to resume on 1 June and start next season on time Metro Sport ReporterSunday 22 Mar 2020 10:06 amShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link4.1kShares The Premier League could return in 10 weeks (Picture: Copa/Getty Images )The Premier League have drawn up plans to resume on 1 June, allowing six weeks to complete the current season and meaning the next campaign can get underway on time in August.These are tentative plans and absolutely nothing is confirmed, but the Telegraph reports that this date has been pencilled in as a target which would allow the least disruption under the current circumstances.If games could start to be played again on 1 June, then this would allow six weeks to fit in the remaining Premier League fixtures and FA Cup matches, with all completed by around 11 July.Most teams have nine league matches still to play, with four teams still to play 10 games, while the FA Cup is into the quarter-final stage, so there are seven fixtures remaining.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENTCompleting all those games by 11 July would be challenging, but it is achievable. There would then be just a four week break before the new Premier League season begins on 8 August.Read the latest updates: Coronavirus news liveThe remaining games of the current season would all be played behind closed doors and the Premier League would need to get the government to sign off on emergency crews being present at the matches.More: FootballRio Ferdinand urges Ole Gunnar Solskjaer to drop Manchester United starChelsea defender Fikayo Tomori reveals why he made U-turn over transfer deadline day moveMikel Arteta rates Thomas Partey’s chances of making his Arsenal debut vs Man CityThe situation continues to develop daily and this is seen as a best case scenario by the Premier League, which is possibly more hopeful than likely.One possible problem with the season running into July is that players out of contract at the end of this season see their deals end on 30 July, although it is expected that FIFA will allow a workaround this issue.It may also be that a four week gap between seasons is too short, but in that case, completing this season is given priority and next campaign may be pushed back into late August.Southampton chief executive Martin Semmens is optimistic that games can be played before this date, although this does not seem realistic at the moment.‘We hope to get the league done by the end of June. As soon as you go past that date, there are legal challenges,’ he said.‘If we ended up playing until 15 July and you had to extend a player’s contract by two weeks, convincing a player to play two more weeks of football and get paid nicely to do it – I don’t believe that will be a substantial challenge.‘The challenge is making sure we don’t have a knock-on effect to other seasons and make football compromised for years to come.’MORE: Premier League games to be held in FIFA 20 tournament, raising money for clubsMORE: Gary Neville urges Premier League to prioritise health over money during coronavirus pandemicFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.For more stories like this, check our sport page. Comment Advertisement Advertisement
Metro Sport ReporterTuesday 30 Jun 2020 1:43 pmShare this article via facebookShare this article via twitterShare this article via messengerShare this with Share this article via emailShare this article via flipboardCopy link1.9kShares Advertisement Arsenal have given Saint-Etienne permission to field William Saliba (Picture: Getty)Arsenal head coach Mikel Arteta says William Saliba has ‘earned the right’ to play for Saint-Etienne in their Coupe de France final with Paris Saint-Germain next month. Saliba, 19, joined Arsenal in a £27million move last summer but was immediately loaned back to Saint-Etienne for the 2019/20 campaign to aid his development and guarantee regular playing time. However, the impact of the coronavirus crisis on French football means there has been uncertainty over whether the central defender will be able to feature in the side’s all-important cup final on July 24. The defender has struggled with injuries at Saint-Etienne this season (Picture: Getty)At his press conference on Tuesday, Arteta underlined his desire to let Saint-Etienne field the France Under-20 international in the cup final.‘I think he needs to stay there,’ Arteta said.‘We’ve got an agreement with Saint-Etienne and he’s earned his right to play that final.’Puel has been desperate to secure an extension for the teenager given Saint-Etienne’s clash with PSG represents their last chance to qualify for next season’s Europa League.More: Arsenal FCArsenal flop Denis Suarez delivers verdict on Thomas Partey and Lucas Torreira movesThomas Partey debut? Ian Wright picks his Arsenal starting XI vs Manchester CityArsene Wenger explains why Mikel Arteta is ‘lucky’ to be managing ArsenalArteta is reluctant to put too much pressure on Saliba given his age and says he’s been in contact with the centre-half across the season.‘I spoke with him a few times,’ the Spaniard added.‘We’ve been following his season, he had a difficult season with injuries. ‘I know how high expectations are for him next season but we have to bear in mind his age.’Are Arsenal right to let Saliba play in the Coupe de France final?Yes0%No0%Share your resultsShare your resultsTweet your resultsFollow Metro Sport across our social channels, on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. For more stories like this, check our sport page.MORE: Ray Parlour sends warning to Matteo Guendouzi amid Arsenal exit rumoursMORE: Arsenal decide against signing Dani Ceballos on a permanent deal after loan spell expires Advertisement William Saliba has ‘earned the right’ to play Saint-Etienne’s Coupe de France final, says Arsenal boss Mikel Arteta Comment Arteta is happy to let Saliba play in the Coupe de France final (Picture: Getty)Saliba’s temporary agreement expires today and Saint-Etienne boss Claude Puel last week pleaded with the Gunners to extend their deal.AdvertisementAdvertisementADVERTISEMENT‘William is at the end of his contract at the end of the month,’ the Saint-Etienne manager said at his press conference last Wednesday. ‘He takes great pleasure in training with his team. ‘We will see what can be done to keep him a little longer with us.’
9 Canopy Cl FreshwaterENERGETIC young footballers have been allowed plenty of growing space in this giant Freshwater home.The five-bedroom property, on a 1396sq m block, is going under the hammer on July 29.Since 2006 it has been owned by Tim and Erin Hancock, whose sons Tom and Matt are well known within local rugby league circles.“We came over from the Northern Territory and wanted the kids to go to a good local school and the one at Freshwater was just awesome,” Mrs Hancock said.“It’s been a good house because it can just fit so many people. “But you really can’t beat the location. It’s close to just about everything.” The property, described as “indestructible”, was designed specifically to suit families.The solid two-storey house adjoins a swimming pool and timber deck, from which views of the Barron Valley can be enjoyed.Mrs Hancock said the home had been wonderful for entertaining guests, including dozens of footy-mad teenagers.While a short drive from the city, the home is in the vicinity of cane fields, creating a semirural feel. The bedrooms are upstairs, with the master suite opening on to a balcony.The downstairs area features a media room – which can double as a study – a second kitchen and granny flat.Other features include an elegant kitchen, airconditioning, solar panels and large car port.With their children now grown up and living elsewhere, Mrs Hancock said the time was right to sell. More from newsCairns home ticks popular internet search terms3 days agoTen auction results from ‘active’ weekend in Cairns3 days agoThe property is being auctioned on July 29“It feels a bit too big now but it’s been a great house, we’ve enjoyed a large part of our lives there,” she said. “Of course we’re sad to leave but it will be ideal for another growing family.“The house is at its best when it is full.” With a median house price of about $530,000, Freshwater is a premier city fringe Cairns suburb.Residents are attracted to its array of quality homes and prime location, with several schools, shops and the airport nearby. Currently living in Wellington, New Zealand, Mrs Hancock said she was looking forward to returning to Cairns for the July 29 auction.“I’m excited. We’ll just have to see what happens,” she said. Selling agent Vanessa Robinson said the home at 9 Canopy Cl, Freshwater, was “fabulous”.“The sellers are committed and this is a really good buying opportunity,” she said. “We’re taking it to auction because it’s a unique home and it’s hard to put a price on some properties. “In this case, we thought it would be best to let the market decide.”She said the home had recently been repainted to a “professional standard”. The auction is being held on-site at 12.30pm on Saturday, July 29.
REIQ regional director Damien Keyes has backed a new report that says house prices in Townsville will grow 9 per cent in the next 3 years. Picture: Evan MorganHOUSE prices in Townsville are forecast to rise 9 per cent in the next three years according to a new report.The Residential Property Prospects 2018-2021 report by BIS Oxford Economics predicts Townsville’s residential market has stabilised and price growth was expected up until June 2021.The report, released yesterday, says the Townsville market hasn’t recovered since peaking in 2008 but vacancy rates have dropped to 3.8 per cent from 7.1 per cent 18 months ago.“It appears that the downturn has stabilised, with the median house price on track to rise by 2 per cent in 2017/18,” the report stated.“Minimal price growth is expected over 2018/19 and 2019/20, before some sign of an upturn emerge by 2020/21 with vacancy rates tightening, and some economic recovery coming through as rising tourist arrivals underpin the upgrade of existing tourism infrastructure.“Cumulative growth of 9 per cent is forecast in the three years to June 2021, although this will be from a low base.” Despite the predicted price increases, weak population growth is expected to weigh heavily on Townsville’s property prices.More from news01:21Buyer demand explodes in Townsville’s 2019 flood-affected suburbs12 Sep 202001:21‘Giant surge’ in new home sales lifts Townsville property market10 Sep 2020According to the REIQ, the median house price in Townsville is $335,000, down 2.2 per cent compared to 12 months ago while the average property takes 63 days to sell.Keyes & Co Property principal Damien Keyes said an increase in buyer activity and a range of infrastructure projects in the pipeline were pointing to a future price rise.“For price growth you have to see a lot more demand and volume and we have been starting to see that this calendar year,” he said. “I’d like to have every confidence that prices will rise by 2021 because by then the stadium will be completed and a lot of these infrastructure projects will have started as well, so you’ll have those workers with money in their pockets.“There is a lot more confidence around and there is more buyer activity this year as well.”REIQ Townsville Zone chairman and First National Nicholson principal Wayne Nicholson said vacancy rates tightening was a positive sign for the market and he was predicting prices had bottomed out.“The rental market has begun to stabilise a fair bit and the vacancy rate is down to 3.8 per cent,” he said.“I think soon we’ll be trying to sneak those rent prices up for those long-suffering landlords.”