Audobon Community Nature Center Hosting Little Explorers Program

first_imgShare:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to email this to a friend (Opens in new window) Max Pixel Stock Image.KIANTONE – When the leaves fall off a plant, what is left behind? Does every tree and plant lose its leaves in the winter?Adults and the three to eight-year-old child(ren) in your life can learn about “Evergreens and Conifers” at Audubon Community Nature Center’s Little Explorers, Saturday, December 12 10-11:30 a.m.Explore different trees and plants and figure out how they survive during these colder months. Along the way, learn what it means to be an evergreen, which trees are known as conifers, and which plants might be both.After an indoor lesson, attendees will head outside to find plant skeletons, identify evergreens and conifers, and look for evidence of the ways plants provide forest animals with the resources they need to survive the winter. A snack is provided after the walk and a craft is offered if there is time.Since the program takes place rain or shine,  officials say to be sure to dress for the weather.Audubon’s COVID-19 safety precautions require face coverings for all visitors ages 3 and up for indoor programs. Face coverings are also required when attendees cannot maintain physical distance outdoors, so plan to have one available.The fee for the program is $8 for adults, $6 for children and Nature Center members.Make reservations by Thursday, December 10, 2020, by calling (716) 569-2345 during business hours or by going to and clicking on “Register for a Program.”The 2020 Little Explorers series is sponsored by Univera Healthcare. Little Explorers is presented on the second Saturday of every month, 10-11:30 a.m.Audubon Community Nature Center is located at 1600 Riverside Road, one-quarter mile east of Route 62 between Jamestown, N.Y., and Warren, Pa.The first floor of the Nature Center building, including the Blue Heron Gift Shop, live animals, and the 2020 Nature Photography Contest winning photographs, is open to the public Mondays through Saturdays, 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Because not all of the building is accessible, admission is by donation only.You are welcome to visit the 600-acre nature preserve from dawn to dusk daily. While practicing safe social distancing measures, you can enjoy the grounds and six miles of trails, and view Liberty, Audubon’s non-releasable Bald Eagle.To learn more about Audubon and its many programs, call (716) 569-2345 during business hours, visit, or find Audubon Community Nature Center on Facebooklast_img read more

Fast reaction: 3 takeaways from Syracuse’s last-minute loss to Notre Dame, 51-49, in the Carrier Dome

first_img Facebook Twitter Google+ Published on January 6, 2018 at 5:23 pm Contact Sam: | @Sam4TR After leading for almost the entire game, Syracuse (12-4, 1-2 Atlantic Coast) fell to Notre Dame (13-3 3-0) on Saturday afternoon inside the Carrier Dome, 51-49, on a last-second tip-in by Fighting Irish guard Rex Pflueger. Notre Dame was without its two best players, point guard Matt Farrell and center Bonzie Colson, but Syracuse was unable to secure the home win as the team’s rebounding woes continued and it was unable to make up for that struggle with a season-best day from behind the arc.Late heroics dashedTyus Battle seemed poised to be the hero. Everyone cleared out for Syracuse’s star guard after he had hit a 3 to tie the game at 49 with less than 30 seconds remaining. He had hit that shot, he had secured the steal to put the Orange in this position. Then, he pulled up from the top of the key and was stripped by one Notre Dame defender as T.J. Gibbs beelined for the opposite end.The ball found Gibbs, but the Orange altered his shot and it went wide left, the opposite side of where two Syracuse defenders had crashed to try and prevent the lay-in. Gibbs’ shot bounced directly into the hands of Pflueger. Notre Dame’s junior guard hit the lay-in and sent the Orange home disappointed. Notre Dame led, in total, for just more than three minutes.Syracuse’s rebounding struggle continuesAdvertisementThis is placeholder textElijah Burns’ offensive rebound and put-back toward the end of the second half exposed Syracuse’s biggest struggle on Saturday afternoon. The Notre Dame junior forward and Troy, New York, native leapt over two Syracuse big men for the offensive rebound and put it back to close the gap, again, to one. That hanging around led to the final heroics from Pflueger.The Irish crushed Syracuse on the boards to start the game, and midway through the first half it had nearly as many offensive rebounds (nine) as the Orange had total rebounds (11). Syracuse’s struggles had carried over from its previous game, when Wake Forest became the first team this season to best the Orange on the glass (38 to 29). SU has statistically been one of the nation’s best offensive-rebounding teams this season, and it’s a team built on length, athleticism and defense, including shutting down possessions early with its work on the glass. That makes this a troubling development at the beginning of conference play, particularly because Notre Dame controlled the glass at points without Colson, its best player and rebounder.From downtownWhen Oshae Brissett released a 3-pointer from the top of the key midway through the second half, it was more a necessity than Brissett choosing to shoot. The shot clock was about to expire and Brissett had popped after setting a pick for Battle, who took two dribbles to his left, saw his man too close to shoot and then found the freshman forward. Brissett, a 26-percent shooter from beyond the arc, drilled the shot while illustrating Syracuse’s performance as a team from 3 on Saturday afternoon.The Orange is one of the worst 3-point shooting teams in the country, hitting only about 30 percent of its shots. But against the Irish, Syracuse had its best game of the season beyond the arc, hitting 44 percent, helping counter its sudden weakness on the glass and, for a time, hold off a pesky Notre Dame squad that Syracuse never seemed able to separate itself from.Syracuse junior point guard Frank Howard complemented Brissett’s production by continuing the hottest-shooting streak of his career. Excluding a near-full-court heave to end the Wake Forest game, Howard is now seven for his last nine 3-point attempts up top, making 38.2 percent from beyond the arc on the season. Commentslast_img read more

CNW90 July 24, 2020

first_imgWright Muir reported the incident the incident to the city’s top officials including Mayor Dean Trantalis and Commissioner Ben Sorensen, the Fort Lauderdale Police, as well as Broward Mayor Dale V.C. Holness. A Swim-In has been planned at the park, Sunday at 9 AM, to protest discrimination. With a look at some of the top stories making the news today, July 24 across your Caribbean-American community in South Florida, I’m…for CNW 90. Jamaican-American law professor Ghenete “G” Wright Muir and her son Masai were victims of racial profiling on Sunday at a swimming pool in the historically Black Joseph C. Carter Park in Fort Lauderdale. Wright-Muir told CNW Network that a white woman—later identified as Lani Kempner, a former professor at Broward College— who was swimming in the lane between Wright Muir and her son, told her she couldn’t talk across her lane. Wright Muir said when she told Kempner that the lifeguard said there was no rule to support her request, and offered to switch lanes, Kempner refused and demanded that the park personnel call the police. According to Wright Muir, Fort Lauderdale police came on the scene and asked her and her son to leave the park and not return for 24 hours, while Kempner, who was also told to exit the pool, refused to do so. Today’s newscast is brought to you by the Florida Department of Health; Now for the news in the detail Coming up in the newscast, Jamaican-American law professor racially profiled at Fort Lauderdale Park, the first hurricane of the 2020 season heads for the Caribbean and Jamaican-American singer Dobby Dobson dies due to COVID-19. Meanwhile, the Jamaican entertainment fraternity and the South Florida community is mourning the death of popular Jamaican singer Highland “Dobby” Dobson who died on July 21. Throughout his career, Dobson wrote and recorded several romantic ballads, including his most popular hit, “Loving Pauper” which earned him the nickname of the same title. In the 1980s, he relocated to South Florida where he also performed in several local productions. In recent years, Dobson became a victim of advanced dementia, and recently contracted COVID-19 from which he died. He was 78 years of age. To help stop the spread of COVID-19, The Florida Department of Health in Broward County reminds everyone to practice social distancing, wash your hands often with soap and water and cover your nose and mouth with a tissue or sleeve when coughing or sneezing. Now for Caribbean News, The National Hurricane Center in Miami says Hurricane Gonzalo, which was upgraded from a tropical storm yesterday, is projected to pass over the Winward Islands over the weekend. Gonzalo is the first hurricane of the season and the fastest strengthening storm since 2005. The government of Barbados has issued a Hurricane Watch for island and forecasters have called for those in the Dominica, St. Lucia and Grenada to take precautions. The hurricane is expected to weaken as it approaches Jamaica, Hispaniola and Puerto Rico over the next few days. You’ve been watching CNW90, I’m… For more information on these and other stories, visit Remember to pick up this week’s copy of our Caribbean National Weekly at your nearest Caribbean – American outlet.last_img read more

Two gangsters get prison terms for killing teen protecting disabled friend

first_imgFast-forward to Aug. 13, 2005. Sammy was walking down an alley with Juan Pedroza, who had a distinctive limp from a childhood car accident, according to court documents. Diaz, Vega and Betancourt were nearby at a party when they spotted the two. Diaz asked if Pedroza was the “fool who ratted on Clumsy.” It’s unclear if they thought he was Victor Pedroza and mistakenly targeted him. “Let’s (mess) him up,” Betancourt said before he charged toward Pedroza. Betancourt threw the first punch, then Vega jumped in. Pedroza, who had a metal plate in his head, had little use of one arm. Sammy jumped in, trying to fend them off. Moments later, Diaz pulled out a gun and shot him in the head. During Thursday’s hearing, a bald-headed Diaz shot glances at rows of red-eyed relatives and smiled a few times while Vega kept his eyes focused ahead. Diaz’s attorney, Robert Schwartz, said trial witnesses contradicted each other, and his client was not involved in the shooting. “For my client to be convicted under this evidence is a miscarriage,” he said after the sentencing. But when Vega’s attorney asked the judge to reconsider his stiffer sentence, she said, “It’s one arrest after another. If he isn’t a perfect example of recidivism, I don’t know what is.” The lead investigator on the case, Los Angeles police Detective Steve Castro, called the outcome “a great day for justice. Gangs like to intimidate; they don’t like people speaking against them, making crime reports,” said Castro, who attended the sentencing. “It weakens their gang.” Bravo, a housekeeper, sat in the back of the courtroom as the judge spoke. Her stomach knotted. Her heart felt as if someone stepped on it. “It has been hard on me,” she said. “Since that day, I am not the same person anymore.” Afraid of retribution, she and her 13-year-old daughter moved from their North Hollywood home with the help of law enforcement. She was even escorted to her car Thursday by sheriff’s deputies for protection. At home, she keeps a candle burning next to her son’s photograph in her living room. Every birthday, every holiday, the sorrow begins anew. On that August night two years ago, she knew something was wrong. She had just arrived in California the year before after escaping an abusive husband in Texas and had tried so hard to protect her son from violence. “I felt something in my heart,” she said, recalling how she went searching the neighborhood for Sammy that night. “When I went to go look for him, I saw a lot of ambulance and police. They already had him in the bed. I was running and crying and they didn’t let me close to him.” At the hospital, she watched as he clung to life. “I told him how much I love him and I didn’t want to miss him, and not to go,” she said. He died 10 minutes later. (818) 713-3741160Want local news?Sign up for the Localist and stay informed Something went wrong. Please try again.subscribeCongratulations! You’re all set! The day Leticia Bravo’s 15-year-old son was shot to death by gang members for trying to protect his disabled friend is the day her own slow death began. “They killed my son, but they killed me,” she said, tears welling in her eyes. “You don’t die immediately. The pain goes on and you die day by day.” Thursday, when a judge sentenced the two North Hollywood Boyz members to more than 40 years in prison each for killing Sammy Salas, Bravo said she had at least ended the most painful chapter of her life. “I hope some day they will be sorry,” she said. “I don’t know why they did it. It is nothing Sammy did to them.” AD Quality Auto 360p 720p 1080p Top articles1/5READ MOREGame Center: Chargers at Kansas City Chiefs, Sunday, 10 a.m.Van Nuys Superior Court Judge Darlene Schempp sentenced Enrique “Serio” Diaz, 32, to 40 years to life in prison for shooting Sammy in the head. Sammy had intervened when several other gangsters were beating up his disabled friend, Juan Pedroza, whom they considered a snitch for talking to police about another case. Luis “Wicked” Vega, 28, who participated in the killing, was sentenced to 55 years to life because he had a prior “strike” under the state’s “three strikes” law for using a cane to beat someone. Both maintain their innocence and will appeal, their attorneys said. Another defendant, Marcos “Shyster” Betancourt, who was 14 at the time and struck a deal with prosecutors to testify against Diaz and Vega, is awaiting sentencing. He likely will be sent to the California Youth Authority and be released when he is 25. Prosecutors called the case a classic example of gang intimidation and revenge that ended in the worst way. A few months before the killing, Pedroza’s brother Victor was harassed by Roberto “Clumsy” Fletes, a parolee and North Hollywood Boyz member. Fletes demanded Pedroza pay “taxes” because he believed he was selling drugs on the gang’s turf. But Victor Pedroza refused and went to the police to file a report against Fletes, eventually testifying against him at a parole hearing. last_img read more