Tags: Clemson, covid adjustments, Notre Dame Marching Band Monday evening, in a closed stadium rehearsal, the full Notre Dame marching band took the field to prepare videos of some of their musical selections. The band recorded a program for a pregame and halftime show, which will hopefully be shown in-stadium when the Irish take on the Clemson Tigers on Saturday.“It was actually the first rehearsal we’ve had where the entire, whole 400-person band has been together,” senior Kilian Vidourek, president of the band, said. Until that point, he said, the band had been split up into Blue and Gold sections that practiced on alternating days.“Not every band is even performing like this. So the fact that we were even able to get at least one show on the field in some capacity is pretty remarkable,” Vidourek said. “It was always just to give us this one last thing to come together. That’s all we’ve wanted all year, is to be on the field and play.”Vidourek said the band will also be marching from the Golden Dome to Notre Dame Stadium before the game Saturday, another tradition they have been unable to uphold because of COVID-19. In addition, he said, they will be performing for College Game Day in the stadium Saturday morning.Vidourek said he was glad the band was able to have the experience of practicing together ahead of this. “It was really cool to have everybody there, like back in the good old days,” he said. “A lot of our seniors got emotional towards the end.”When asked what the biggest struggle has been for the program this year, Vidourek said the morale of the group.“Usually band is this super, almost weirdly tight knit group of sections and traditions and events. We’re always hanging out with each other,” Vidourek said. “There’s not as many social events outside of band. We’re all taking every necessary step to be safe.”This, Vidourek said, is why he was especially glad the band was able to practice together. “It’s nice that we have this game and have that rehearsal to channel our energy and effort into,” he said.Vidourek said the band has also been trying to keep up their section and pregame traditions as best they can. One such tradition involves section rivalries that are usually played out at South Dining Hall with competitions. “We still do a very watered down version over Zoom,” Vidourek said. “We’re finding creative ways to make it all happen.”This is also the band’s 175th anniversary, which is cause for celebration with the program. “The kids in band 175 are the most tenacious and strongest and most devoted,” Vidourek said. “I think that they’re just happy to play their instrument and play the Fight Song, and be with each other and be in the band, to be one of the only bands that are doing it, and doing it correctly. So many other bands are probably jealous that we get to come together.”The COVID-19 pandemic has been especially hard on the seniors, he said.“My favorite band memories are the worst football games,” Vidourek said. “There’s something really humbling about going in somewhere, being with the band and taking a loss, and recognizing who you are in the face of losses. It’s so easy to win, but it’s really hard to lose. … It’s a wakeup call to realize it’s not about the victory. It’s not about playing the victory clog, saying you won the game. It’s about the band coming together and knowing that there’s more tomorrow to do.”Vidourek said this season has been like this realization about losses.“This year has been my favorite year in band,” he said. “You have to put in so much more to get the same experience out of it, and it’s been so rewarding to refigure out how to be a band member.”He said that the game Saturday is the perfect way to end the season. “I think this game is a giant culmination of all that hard work,” Vidourek said. “If we pull off this win, and the band can be super loud and get in their faces with all this great music, then I’ll cry.”
talkSPORT bring you a handy round-up all the top headlines and transfer-related stories in Monday’s newspapers…Chelsea could miss out on re-signing Romelu Lukaku in the summer. The Everton striker is reportedly put off by Antonio Conte’s style of play and could consider a move to Manchester United instead. (The Sun)Blues boss Conte could be ready to splash the cash on Belgium midfielder Radja Nainggolan and Germany defender Antonio Rudiger, both from Roma, for a total of £70million when the transfer window opens. (The Sun)However, there are claims Conte will not be at Stamford Bridge next season, as the Italian is reportedly being lined up to become Barcelona’s new manager, with the LaLiga club still yet to announce a replacement for Luis Enrique. (Daily Express)Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal, Manchester City, Everton and West Ham are all currently monitoring Sunderland’s 23-year-old goalkeeper Jordan Pickford, who could be allowed to leave the Black Cats for £25million following their relegation from the Premier League. (Daily Telegraph)Tottenham could face a mutiny from their players this summer after the club announced a post-season friendly in Hong Kong. A number of Spurs stars are reportedly unhappy about plans to play a game in Asia when the season ends, with the club keen to boost their international profile. (The Guardian)Arsenal striker Lucas Perez is keen on a return to Spain, with Deportivo La Coruna his first choice. (Daily Mail)Leeds United left-back Charlie Taylor refused to play in his side’s game at Wigan as he seeks a move away from Elland Road, with West Brom interested. (Birmingham Mail)Harry Redknapp is open to staying on as Birmingham City manager after delivering Championship safety at St Andrew’s. (Various)
Matt’s Takeaway in Killea has been robbed.COMMUNITY ALERT: A popular chip shop in Killea has been robbed by a gang of callous thieves. Matt’s Takeaway published a notice on their Facebook page earlier this evening appealing for witnesses.They also appealed to other business owners and homeowners to remain vigilant and to report any suspicious activity in the area. Thieves stole a number of gas bottles during the raid, and they cut through pipes in order to get them.Management at Matt’s Takeaway believe they would’ve needed a van or a trailer to transport the stolen items away from the shop.Matt’s Takeaway posted on Facebook, “NOTICE- Hi folks, I got gas bottles stolen from Matts Takeaway Killea.“They cut the pipes to get them and the fittings, they would of needed an van or a trailer to carry them. “If anyone noticed anything suspicious at time, or any suspicious activity this past few nights could you let me know.“Please spread word, and people be aware that nothing is safe and always be on look out thanks.This is the latest in a spate of burglaries that have been carried out in border towns in Donegal in the last number of weeks.COMMUNITY ALERT: TAKEAWAY ROBBED IN KILLEA was last modified: January 14th, 2015 by Mark ForkerShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:community alertKilleaMatt’s TakeawaynewsNoticesrobbery
Five Tidy Town Committees were honoured at a special event in the County House in Lifford on Monday afternoon when they were awarded the Clean & Green Awards from Donegal County Council.These awards are aimed at recognising groups that have achieved high scores in the following three categories of the National Tidy Towns competition: Tidiness & Litter Control; Approach Roads, Streets and Lanes and; Sustainability – doing more with less.The following groups received an award of €500 as they came out tops in these categories in the national competition for their own municipal district – Doochary, Donegal Town, Carraig Airt, Castlefinn and Malin and Donegal Town also received the overall county award worth €1,000. Owen Howells and David Davin from Donegal Town Tidy Towns Committee receiving the overall winning Clean and Green Award worth €1000 from Donegal County Council Cathaoirleach Cllr. Seamus O’Domhnaill at a special event in the County House in Lifford on Monday 1 April 2019. Picture also includes Cllr. Niamh Kennedy, Cllr. Noel Jordan, Cllr. Gerry Crawford and Michael McGarvey, Donegal County Council.Speaking at the presentation of these awards Cathaoirleach Cllr. Seamus O’Domhnaill congratulated the groups on the great work that they do in their own towns and villages.“The work that you do is a credit to each and every one of you and to the other volunteers in your community. You are making a massive contribution to your communities and you are keeping Donegal cleaner, greener and much more environmentally aware. I think we are winning the battle and I would urge you all to keep up the good work – the future is green.”Brian Watson and Hugh McColgan from Malin Tidy Towns Committee receiving a Clean and Green Award worth €500 from Donegal County Council Cathaoirleach Cllr. Seamus O’Domhnaill at a special event in the County House in Lifford on Monday 1 April 2019. Picture also includes Cllr. Niamh Kennedy, Cllr. Noel Jordan, Cllr. Gerry Crawford and Michael McGarvey, Donegal County Council.Cllr Niamh Kennedy, Deputy Chair of the Environmental and Emergency Services Strategic Policy Committee also congratulated the groups and said that €67,000 had been invested in Tidy Towns initiatives by the Council in 2018. 28 groups benefitted from the fund which helped them improve their overall marks in the national competition.Carrigart Tidy Town Committee members Columba Boyce and Joy Buchanan receiving a Clean and Green Award worth €500 from Donegal County Council Cathaoirleach Cllr. Seamus O’Domhnaill at a special event in the County House in Lifford on Monday 1 April 2019. Picture also includes Cllr. Niamh Kennedy, Cllr. Noel Jordan, Cllr. Gerry Crawford and Michael McGarvey, Donegal County Council.Sam Gallagher from Castlefin Tidy Town Committee receiving a Clean and Green Award worth €500 from Donegal County Council Cathaoirleach Cllr. Seamus O’Domhnaill at a special event in the County House in Lifford on Monday 1 April 2019. Picture also includes Cllr. Niamh Kennedy, Cllr. Noel Jordan, Cllr. Gerry Crawford and Michael McGarvey, Donegal County Council.Michael McGarvey, Director of Water and Environment with the Council also commended the groups on receiving these awards and noted that there are more than 5,000 volunteers working through Tidy Town Committees and community clean-ups across Donegal and this is something that is particularly unique to Donegal. The Council has just recently launched the Big Donegal Clean-Up campaign and groups have already been very active. This year we also have 5 local Big Donegal Clean-up Ambassadors who will help promote the campaign and encourage others to get involved. He added that the Council is fully committed to continuing to work with groups and explore all possible options for addressing ongoing challenges particularly litter along the roadside.Mr McGarvey said “the Tidy Towns initiative has such a positive impact on the local community and we are keen to support groups that instil such positivity in their local community and their local environment”. Tidy Town Committees sweep up Clean & Green Awards was last modified: April 3rd, 2019 by Rachel McLaughlinShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:Clean & Green Awardstidy towns
Click HERE if you’re having trouble viewing the gallery on your mobile device.A Raiders rebound at Denver on Sunday? Boomer Esiason sees two problems with that scenario: coach Jon Gruden and quarterback Derek Carr.“You’ve got a Hollywood coach that’s doing commercials and everything, and also calling out his quarterback in the media for his poor performance against the Rams,” Esiason said on the CBS pregame show Sunday morning. “A couple of those interceptions were absolutely head-scratching …
Led by the Rashtriya Janata Dal (RJD) Leader of Opposition Tejaswi Yadav, legislators marched to the Patna Raj Bhavan on Monday and submitted a memorandum demanding the immediate arrest of the Bharatiya Janata Party (BJP) leader Manoj Baitha. His vehicle allegedly mowed down nine school children on January 24 while they were crossing a road in Muzaffarpur.Mr. Yadav said, “Till now, no arrest has been made in the incident. The government is protecting the drunk ruling BJP leader whose vehicle crushed nine school children in Muzaffarpur, despite prohibition in the State. We demand his immediate arrest.”BJP’s stanceDeputy Chief Minister and senior State BJP leader Sushil Kumar Modi told mediapersons, “Whoever or wherever the accused person Manoj Baitha is, he cannot escape the rule of law. The government will not protect anyone, no matter which party he belongs to.”Also Read Leaders of other parties, too, charged the government with protecting the accused BJP leader in the incident. The two-page memorandum submitted to the Governor also mentioned the deteriorating law and order situation in the state.State DGP P.K. Thakur assured that the accused will be arrested soon, “as the police have seized a mobile phone as evidence from the ill-fated vehicle”. The Muzaffarpur police has lodged an FIR under IPC sections against Manoj Baitha. Rahul questions Nitish over tragedy
Nagaland Chief Minister Neiphiu Rio on Monday took strong objection to Congress leader Shashi Tharoor’s “outlandish” Naga headgear remark. Without taking Mr. Tharoor’s name, the Chief Minister sought an apology and withdrawal of the statement. “Nagas have rich heritage & vibrant culture. We are proud of our history & traditions. The Naga headgear is renowned & gifted with honour,definitely not outlandish. Mutual respect makes India a great nation. One must apologise & withdraw statements that hurt others sentiments,” Mr. Rio said on Twitter. Mr. Rio heads the Peoples’ Democratic Alliance government in Nagaland in which his Nationalist Democratic Progressive Party and BJP are partners.The Thiruvananthapuram MP waded into a fresh row by alleging that Prime Minister Narendra Modi could wear all kinds of headgear, “but not the Muslim skull cap.”“I ask you why does our prime minister wear all sorts of outlandish headgear wherever he goes around the country or around the world? Why does he always refuse to wear a Muslim skull cap? “You see him in Naga headgears with feathers. You have seen him in various kinds of extraordinary outfits which is a right thing for a prime minister to do. Indira Gandhi has also been photographed wearing various kinds of costumes. But why he still always says no to one?” Mr. Tharoor said at a seminar in Thiruvananthapuram yesterday.His comments drew a sharp response from Union minister Kiren Rijiju, who said the Congress leader’s remarks insulted tribals and people from the North-East.“I demand apology from the Congress Party for insulting the people of India’s North East & Tribals. Shashi Tharoor described North-East people & Naga Tribal headgears as funny looking outlandish & hilarious,” Mr. Rijiju, a native of Arunachal Pradesh, said on Twitter.“Shashi Tharoor insults the proud cultural heritage of the people of North-East. This condescension & arrogance towards the people of India have become hallmarks of @INCIndia,” Union Information and Broadcasting Minister Rajyavardhan Rathore tweeted. BJP general secretary Ram Madhav said, “For Shashi Tharoor, Naga headgear is outlandish and hilarious. In his over zealous love for skull cap, Tharoor doesnt mind insulting d customs of d Nagas n other NE people,” he said. The Naga Hoho, the apex body for tribal communities in Nagaland, condemning Mr. Tharoor’s statements. “His statement though meant to be humourous shows the contemptuous mentality of some of the mainstream Indians towards the northeast and in particular the Nagas,” a statement said.