0Shares0000Harambee Stars Under-23 and AFC Leopards winger Jaffary Owiti in action during training. PHOTO/FKFNAIROBI, Kenya, Nov 14 – Kenya’s dream of a first ever appearance in the Olympics for the football team will begin on Wednesday evening when the Under-23 team takes on Mauritius in the first round of a long road to qualification for the 2020 showpiece in Tokyo, Japan.For a country that has ruled the games every four years especially on the athletics track, Kenya will be hoping to add one more medal prospect in a field that most do not associate it with, football. But, the path to picking a ticket to Tokyo is not a simple one.A three-round qualification process will pick out the best seven teams to join hosts Egypt for the Africa Under-23 Championship to be held in Cairo with the top three teams qualifying for Tokyo.Kenya begins the first round against Mauritius and a win from this stage will book them a ticket against the winner between the Sudan and Seychelles tie.A further win from the second round will book the Emerging Stars a third round ticket where they play the winner between Libya and Nigeria and a further victory at this stage will see the team qualify for the eight-team Under-23 Championship.Head coach Francis Kimanzi who has been working alongside senior team boss Sebastien Migne says the team is ready for kick off and adds they want to ensure they finish the job at home before the second leg on Sunday November 18.Harambee Stars Under-23 head coach Francis Kimanzi watches on during training. PHOTO/FKF“We have a very positive progress in training because we have a full squad fit and healthy and most importantly motivated and ready. This is a very important match and we cant underrate Mauritius because the dynamics in African football are very different now,” Kimanzi noted as he prepared the team for the tie.Kimanzi has boosted his squad with the arrival of two English born Kenyans, Jonah Ayunga and Henry Ochieng. Ochieng turns out for English national league side Braintree Town while Ayunga turns out for third tier side Sutton United.While Ayuinga has previously been called up to the team two years ago, Ochieng will be making his maiden cut and he hopes to catch not only Kimanzi’s eye, but Migne’s as well with next year’s African Cup of Nations now already a reality.“I am glad to join up with the rest of the squad and training was great. The intensity is really good and I like the level at which they are playing. The thing now is to work hard and try win a place in the team,” Ochieng who arrived in the country Monday morning said.Harambee Stars Under-23 defender Joseph ‘Crouch’ Okumu vies for the ball with teammate David Owino during training. PHOTO/FKFKimanzi says this will be an opportune time to test the players and see their ability with the Under-23 also seeing several new players called in.The squad features several foreign based players including Sweden based Ovellah Ochieng, defender Joseph ‘Crouch’ Okumu who plays in the USA as well as the England based duo.0Shares0000(Visited 2 times, 1 visits today)
WILMINGTON, MA — On Thursday, Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan announced that Jacob Strow, 22, of Wilmington, was recently indicted by a grand jury on charges of armed carjacking, armed assault with intent to rob a person over the age of 60, and assault and battery on an elderly person.Strow was arrested on the evening of October 7, 2018 in Tewksbury after he allegedly attempted to rob a man in the 7-Eleven parking lot on Main Street.“A man in his 60’s was sitting in his vehicle when he was approached by the suspect, who pointed a handgun at him and attempted to rob him and steal his vehicle,” reads a statement from the Tewksbury Police Department. “A fight ensued between the suspect and the victim. A passerby stopped to help the victim, which caused the suspect to flee on foot.”Wilmington Police assisted Tewksbury Police in locating Strow near the crime scene. Evidence was recovered during the arrest, including a pellet handgun that resembled a firearm.The Assistant District Attorney handling the case is Shannon Jurgens.Jacob StrowLike Wilmington Apple on Facebook. Follow Wilmington Apple on Twitter. Follow Wilmington Apple on Instagram. Subscribe to Wilmington Apple’s daily email newsletter HERE. Got a comment, question, photo, press release, or news tip? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… RelatedWilmington Man Arrested For Armed Carjacking & Assault In TewksburyIn “Police Log”Middlesex District Attorney Marian Ryan Announces Grand Jury IndictmentsIn “Police Log”Middlesex DA: Wilmington Man Indicted For Attempted MurderIn “Government”
[Representational Image]ReutersA petition seeking action against the Delhi Police has been moved at the Delhi High Court on Tuesday, August 13, after they allegedly referred to India’s Independence Day as Republic Day in their recent advisory.The petition was filed by Manjeet Singh Chugh against the South district unit of Delhi Police which had misprinted Republic day instead of Independence Day in its advisory issued for officers on duty on August 15. The South Delhi police department had Republic Day written everywhere apart from the heading in the notification.Singh claimed in his petition that such glaring errors only go to show that notifications issued by the Delhi Police “are not read and checked by senior officers,” reports news agency ANI. Delhi PoliceTwitterThe plea was brought up before a division bench presided by Chief Justice DN Patel and Justice C Harishankar, and the matter has been listed for hearing on August 14, adds the report.In India, Independence Day will be celebrated across the nation with people remembering the martyrdom of our freedom fighters. This year Independence Day falls on Thursday, August 15. India’s national flag will be hoisted by Prime Minister Narendra Modi from the Red Fort in New Delhi.
Sri Lanka has expelled over 600 foreign nationals, including around 200 Islamic clerics, since the Easter suicide bombings blamed on a local jihadi group, a minister told AFP Sunday.Home affairs minister Vajira Abeywardena said the clerics had entered the country legally, but amid a security crackdown after the attacks were found to have overstayed their visas, for which fines were imposed and they were expelled from the island.”Considering the current situation in the country, we have reviewed the visas system and took a decision to tighten visa restrictions for religious teachers,” Abeywardena said.”Out of those who were sent out, about 200 were Islamic preachers.”The Easter Sunday bombings that killed 257 people and wounded nearly 500 were led by a local cleric who is known to have travelled to neighbouring India and had made contact with jihadists there.The minister did not give the nationalities of those who have been expelled, but police have said many foreigners who have overstayed their visas since the Easter attacks were from Bangladesh, India, Maldives and Pakistan.”There are religious institutions which have been getting down foreign preachers for decades,” Abeywardena said. “We have no issues with them, but there are some which mushroomed recently. We will pay more attention to them.”The minister said the government was overhauling the country’s visa policy following fears that foreign clerics could radicalise locals for a repeat of the April 21 suicide bombings, which targeted three Christian churches and three luxury hotels.Sri Lanka has imposed a state of emergency since the attacks and given wide powers to troops and police to arrest and detain suspects for long periods.House-to-house searches are being carried out across the country looking for explosives and propaganda material of Islamic extremists.
Share Image captured from the Harris County Sheriff’s Office Twitter feed / @HCSOTexasHarris County Sheriff ed Gonzalez said during a media briefing that the fatal shooting was related to “family violence.”Two children and one adult male are dead in what appears to be a murder-suicide, according to Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez.Gonzalez said it appears the shooting was related to what he called “family violence.” The adult may have been the father of one of the kids.Gonzalez said the boy and girl were probably between the ages of 7 and 12.“It’s definitely a dark day here in Harris County, another situation of family violence. It’s very sad and unfortunate that we still see situations like this occur,” the Sheriff noted.The shooting happened at a home in the 14-thousand block of Edgeboro in northeast Houston.Earlier on Thursday, a woman taking care of her two grandchildren reported them missing from her home. Police believe the cases are related and authorities are still investigating.You can watch Sheriff Gonzalez’s media briefing here:Update on murder-suicide scene at 14000 Edgeboro in NE Harris County with @SheriffEd_HCSO https://t.co/EKCmmJjZFW— HCSOTexas (@HCSOTexas) July 12, 2018
By Sean Yoes, Baltimore AFRO Editor, email@example.comTwo more people were killed and another was injured in two separate shootings overnight within the span of about 90 minutes, according to the Baltimore Police Department, (BPD).According to WJZ-TV, the two shootings took place in the 3800 block of Harlem Ave., in West Baltimore and the 700 block of E. Preston St., in East Baltimore.Police are seeking information on a series of shootings that took place overnight. (Google Maps)The Harlem Ave. shooting took place around 8:00 p.m., when police found a man with a gunshot wound to the torso. He was taken to an area hospital where he died of his injuries. Shortly after, a 34-year-old man walked into a hospital with a gunshot wound to the hand. Investigators believe both men were shot in the 3800 block of Harlem Ave.According to police, less than 90 minutes later around 9:20 p.m., BPD responded to a report of a shooting on E. Preston, where they discovered another 34-year-old man suffering gunshots to the torso. He was taken to a local hospital where he died of his injuries. A short time later, two more victims, a 26-year-old with a gunshot wound to the foot and a 33-year-old also with a gunshot wound to the foot arrived at area hospitals. Police believe all three shootings happened in the 700 block of E. Preston. Police have not announced any suspects or motives in last night’s shootings.From Aug. 17 to Aug. 20, five men were gunned down in Baltimore in several separate shootings. As of August 23, there have been 190 homicides in Baltimore this year.